Always cool when you see a new animal.

Coralkong

Alien
I joke to my wife and say it's turned into Mutual of Omaha's Wild Animal Kingdom up here.

Spring has finally sprung in the White Mtns of New Hampshire, and animals are (quite literally) coming out of the woodwork.

Well, we've been catching glimpses of a bird of prey hitting the back yard, and I didn't know what it was.
Finally saw it again, and looked it up.

Apparently, they're pretty rare. I've never seen one before, ever.

Northern Goshawk.

I thought it was an owl, to be honest. I see it every once in awhile out of the corner of my eye. It swoops down, and then at the last second, opens its' wings to slow it up and nails something out there....fieldmice, I have no idea. We got a pretty good look at it (albeit a quick look) the other day.......we all kind of looked at each other, and said "Yep, but I don't know what it is!"

This is it!
Northern-goshawk-landing.jpg
flying-goshawk-e1308854735429.jpg
NorthernGoshawk.jpg

So fucking cool. I love living up here......(though late February gets a little old).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_goshawk

Very, very, very cool!
Apparently their range is like 50 square miles or something ridiculous. I looked up the NH Game .pdf on it, and they describe their ideal habitat. It fits PERFECTLY with my back yard.

Stoked! It is very fast, and very elusive.......absolutely gorgeous creature.

Beautiful bird. I wonder if it's tasty.

I dunno, but my money is on him in a fight, Punkkitty.....no offense.
It is very fast, pulling up at the last minute and then basically hammering whatever it is after with its' talons.

Absolutely gorgeous animal.

I dunno, but my money is on him in a fight, Punkkitty.....no offense.
It is very fast, pulling up at the last minute and then basically hammering whatever it is after with its' talons.

Absolutely gorgeous animal.

Talons are a great weapon. But humans have shotguns. (If we were discussing a hypothetical fight in which I don't think Punkkitty would actually have any interest IRL.)

Talons are a great weapon. But humans have shotguns. (If we were discussing a hypothetical fight in which I don't think Punkkitty would actually have any interest IRL.)

I know I wouldn't want to fight it, lol......even hypothetically.....it was pretty bad-ass.

Those talons look like they were made to fit behind the human eyeball.

And that would suck.

A lot.

And cause irreversible damage.

I know I wouldn't want to fight it, lol......even hypothetically.....it was pretty bad-ass.

Those talons look like they were made to fit behind the human eyeball.

And that would suck.

A lot.

And cause irreversible damage.
Hey. You're the one who brought up the fight.

My kayaking buddy/buddies. I know there's more than one because I've seen one while it hooted to one somewhere on the other side of the creek.

c4f74387-37ab-44ec-8fcc-0faae8f0336a_zpsw4nscecd.jpg

038eed06-c126-489e-b0f9-131c24a93b5f_zpsgzpbhrbm.jpg

Looks like the pattern on the chest is a bit different.

Back