Ran my first event Sunday

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
I ran the "Santo de Mayo 5K" put on by Saint Arnold Brewery Sunday. Had a blast!

I have always worried about managing my pace with all those other runners around. I guess I did OK in that department, my miles were all just under 10 minutes; my usual pace lately has been more like 10 min 30 seconds. So I was a little amped up but not so much that I burned out. There were lots of people that passed me up and then I passed them when they were walking later. There was a stretch of uphill that really weeded out a bunch of the pretenders.

I finished 34th in my age group out of 55. If I was one year older I would have been in the 55-59ers and my time would have had me in 9th or 10th place.

Overall I was 446th (I think). :grin: Out of something over 1300 participants.

The best part was the beer after the race, man Santo right from the source is delicious at 9:embarrassed:0 in the morning! (Usually I try to wait until at least 10:embarrassed:0 before drinking, hah hah). It was cool to see the inside of the brewery, too. (I'm fascinated by wineries and breweries, and not just because I like their products).

I'll definitely be back next year, and this time Mrs. Roach wants to participate too in the walking group. She was along but didn't do the event this time.

The better pics are on her camera, haven't processed them yet, but I got a couple of snapshots with my phone:

Waiting for the starting gun:

A5AD6B11-E76A-4430-8F97-F80B110B621E.jpg~original

A view of the brewery itself (better shots coming up when processed):

Last edited:
Cool!
Next time you need a "Will Run For Beer" T-shirt.

I rode a charity ride that raised money to help underprivileged kids have access to the YMCA Sunday, and I've been exhausted since. I stayed home Monday and should have done so today. Severe fatigue. I'm not sure what the hell has happened to me. messedup0

Cool!
Next time you need a "Will Run For Beer" T-shirt.

I rode a charity ride that raised money to help underprivileged kids have access to the YMCA Sunday, and I've been exhausted since. I stayed home Monday and should have done so today. Severe fatigue. I'm not sure what the hell has happened to me. messedup0

I bet you didn't have a coupla beers right after the event. That's the trick to a quick recovery. :grin:

(just kidding, don't try this at home kiddies)

Speaking of getting older, I wish I had done some running events in the 90s when I was in my prime. I coulda been a contendah! :embarrassed:

Reactions: Tig
I think I will work some more of these kinds of things into my schedule. Maybe even some that don't involve beer, heh heh. The trail in the park behind our house is nice, but it adds a lot of interest to throw some variety in there. Plus it gives me something to train for and helps with motivation.

I think I will work some more of these kinds of things into my schedule. Maybe even some that don't involve beer, heh heh. The trail in the park behind our house is nice, but it adds a lot of interest to throw some variety in there. Plus it gives me something to train for and helps with motivation.

Besides, your trail is littered with dames in distress.

Besides, your trail is littered with dames in distress.

Yeah, that too.

Mrs. Roach doesn't want me running in the early morning any more. :facepalm:

She'd rather I run in the daytime and get eaten by an unleashed terrier.

Reactions: Tig
Congrats on the run!! We are also the same age to I move up into the slightly less young age group later this year as well. A couple of the local brewerys sponsor runs here as well. Definitely a nice reward for the work put in!

Back