jello's Bariatric journal...

Oh, hi...:Wave:

I'm a little behind, so here's what's been happening...

After the PreOp class I was seriously considering dropping out...there just seemed to be too many negatives to it all UNTIL I had some time to process a few things... The big thing was understanding that much of what was being described was primarily aimed at the bypass patients, which I am not...so OK, all good...

April 7 was my first support group (2 are required before surgery)...I really did not want to go, but went because I had too...it turned out that I really needed that meeting...it was great to be around others who were both pre- and post-op...got some good info, had a few laughs...I honestly cannot wait for the next one...

Last night was my pre-op psych evaluation which went well...they were mainly checking to see if I exhibited any self destructive behavior...he signed off without reservations...8)

Still to come...cardiology clearance, nutritional consults, surgical follow up and another support group...

The support group on May 5 completes the checklist...after that they petition the insurance company for clearance, which should be granted after about a week or so and then surgery is scheduled...it's possible that it may happen before the end of May...

Onward...

Hi Jello

I must have missed this thread originally. I had gastric sleeve surgery about two years ago. I went from about 320 lbs. to under 180. (I have gained back about 20 lbs, but I seem to be holding there.)

The lead-up to surgery is very overwhelming. It's a difficult decision.

My advice: Be very sure you're ready to do it. It's a huge lifestyle change, and your head has to be in the right place. Be prepared to do the work after surgery -- exercise, new eating habits, etc.

And make sure your family/close friends are on board. I hear that some people end up with relationship challenges after losing a lot of weight. In some cases, family and friends are invested in the old you.

I had some minor difficulties after surgery (an infection in one incision, etc.) But I am so glad I went through with it. I feel so such better that it's hard to even describe.

Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Grant
Thank you Grant...sorry I didn't see this sooner...
:Wave:

Not sure how I missed this. All overdue mojo to you Jelloman. I'm 6'3.25" and last I checked was just above 300 lbs.. I have been thinking of getting a sleeve gastrectomy myself. After two back surgeries, losing some of that would make moving so much easier...help my blood pressure...improve or eliminate my type II diabetes....

I am just now trying to figure out why I don't want to do this.

Oh yeah: Food.

Today was the cardiologist...nothing too far out, just blood pressure, pulse, and an EKG...the EKG showed an enlarged heart, exactly the same as my 2010 exam showed...there some long medical term for it, left venticular something something, which of course requires an Echocardiogram for further study, just to be safe...that's scheduled for next monday...

This past weekend was spent, among other things, doing some research into the pre- and post- surgical diets...it's embarrassing to admit but it turns out I know almost nothing about eating healthy, all previous delusions to the contrary...but the days leading up to surgery and for several weeks after I will be limited to a liquid diet followed by a "puree" period, and that means PROTEIN SHAKES! Anybody got any good protein smoothie recipes? Chime in...

I also ordered a recumbant exercise bike, a smoothie blender, and a neat little item called a Blender Bottle, along with a sampler case of Quest protein bars...Amazon loves me...

I also ordered a GNC membership card...

Wednesday is another follow up with the surgeon, friday is a nutritional consult, monday ECG etc etc etc...the savage journey continues...

If you need me I'll be busy following the yellow brick road...

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this. All overdue mojo to you Jelloman. I'm 6'3.25" and last I checked was just above 300 lbs.. I have been thinking of getting a sleeve gastrectomy myself. After two back surgeries, losing some of that would make moving so much easier...help my blood pressure...improve or eliminate my type II diabetes....

I am just now trying to figure out why I don't want to do this.

Oh yeah: Food.
I hope some of this helps, and doesn't discourage you...one thing about the sleeve to remember; once your stomach heals and relaxes there are really no food restrictions, just portion restrictions...you technically can eat whatever you want for a bite or two...it's just that you need to maximize your protein intake to maintain lean mass...

I'm learning that I can enjoy things like whole wheat spagetti and bunless burgers...and hey whatayaknow, pizza cheese has protein in it!

Somehow I missed this too. It's fantastic that you are taking control of your diet and learning how to eat healthy. So many changes. I'm really excited for you, David. I hope things continue to go well and that you get the clearance for the surgery.

*please note updated signature*

Tonite after work I saw the surgeon...BP, pulse and a weigh-in...I LOST 6 POUNDS!

...oh sure, NOW the diet starts working...:rolleyes:

Then I sat down with the scheduler and set the agenda...a couple more nutritional consults, ECG, support group, pre-op exam and releases, final clearance from my primary doctor, all leading up to...

*drumroll*

SURGERY!

June 2, 2015

party0

...it's embarrassing to admit but it turns out I know almost nothing about eating healthy...

Don't want to come off as negative in any way, but have you given any thought to pursuing dieting again, now that you have a better idea of what you should be eating?

Don't want to come off as negative in any way, but have you given any thought to pursuing dieting again, now that you have a better idea of what you should be eating?
Good question, and not at all negative...

I have tried dieting many times, on plans like weight watchers, on meal substitutions like slim-fast, and on looser but still effective unplanned diets...invariably I tend to lose a lot of weight at the start and then hit hard plateaus that are both discouraging and often permanent...my doctor told me awhile back that after several times up and down the body tends to lock...plus I am severely hypothyroid which just worsens as I age...

Any more now I liken my issues to the first step of AA...i acknowledge that I am powerless against food...to me, as well as several medical professionals, surgical intervention is really my only hope of getting healthy, regardless of my eating habits...

Good question, and not at all negative...

I have tried dieting many times, on plans like weight watchers, on meal substitutions like slim-fast, and on looser but still effective unplanned diets...invariably I tend to lose a lot of weight at the start and then hit hard plateaus that are both discouraging and often permanent...my doctor told me awhile back that after several times up and down the body tends to lock...plus I am severely hypothyroid which just worsens as I age...

Any more now I liken my issues to the first step of AA...i acknowledge that I am powerless against food...to me, as well as several medical professionals, surgical intervention is really my only hope of getting healthy, regardless of my eating habits...
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Sooooooooooooooo...

Friday I had a session with the nutritionist at my health care center...this nutritionist is NOT associated with the hospital's bariatric center, and the session was scheduled mainly to satisfy the insurance company's reqirement for monthly consults...in spite of this I went in hoping to get some questions answered regarding the limitations of the post-surgery diet...

...I left very disappointed...she was very nice but was not willing to discuss anything that was the responsility of the hospital's nutritionist, whom I will be seeing next friday...oh well...

Today I assembled a recumbant exercise bike...I'm not sure which will be more beneficial, assembling it or riding it...

Monday I get an echocardiogram to study my enlarged heart...the heart has to work harder against high blood pressure and enlarges a condition call left atrial something something...I'm not anticipating any issues from it but you never know...

Friday is my meeting with Janet, who runs the bariatric center at the hospital, the support groups, and is the primary nutritional consultant...I will hereafter refer to this as the "come to jesus" meeting...

Peace...

Sooooooooooooooo...

Friday I had a session with the nutritionist at my health care center...this nutritionist is NOT associated with the hospital's bariatric center, and the session was scheduled mainly to satisfy the insurance company's reqirement for monthly consults...in spite of this I went in hoping to get some questions answered regarding the limitations of the post-surgery diet...

...I left very disappointed...she was very nice but was not willing to discuss anything that was the responsility of the hospital's nutritionist, whom I will be seeing next friday...oh well...

Mojo

Today I assembled a recumbant exercise bike...I'm not sure which will be more beneficial, assembling it or riding it...

Both. Way to go!

Monday I get an echocardiogram to study my enlarged heart...the heart has to work harder against high blood pressure and enlarges a condition call left atrial something something...I'm not anticipating any issues from it but you never know...

Usually it is the left ventricle. This is when your diastolic is higher than normal and works harder.

Friday is my meeting with Janet, who runs the bariatric center at the hospital, the support groups, and is the primary nutritional consultant...I will hereafter refer to this as the "come to jesus" meeting...

Peace...

Hope all works out for you brother David

Last night I had my Echo performed by Mistress Joan...Mistress Joan has very strong hands and she used them to press the probe all the way down to my ribcage..."am I hurting you? Well, let me know when you can't take any more..."

I think I'm in love...

Did her name tag actually say "Mistress Joan?"

:grin:

Back