This one time at band practice

An old guitarist was in town, so we invited her to sit in. I supplied a guitar, cables and a Pocket Pod Express (nothing but the best!) and then remembered that my 30-year-old strap had broken at the end the other week and that I only had one(1) that was functional. So I stapled up the relic and hoped it would hold my bass for an evening and gave the working one to the visitor.

My optimism was misplaced: in the middle of a song the staples gave out and my indestructible Westone Matsumoko Armoured Battle-Cruiser bass took a dive, wedging a tuning peg into our singer's can of beer, spilling more than a bit of it. To general hilarity, of course. When I finally extracted it it was fine and still in tune.

In other news:

* Flats on a P-bass (or mad Japanese approximation) is still a wonderful thing. Not even Pino Palladino can be wrong about everything.

* The reason guitars have fret markers is so that when the bastards call a tune that they all know and you don't you can at least wing it by following the rhythm guitarist's left hand. Since that happens A LOT I'm actually pretty grateful for fret markers as long as they aren't birds. I would probably draw the line at birds.

Ha, that is the only reason for fret markers. I never use them to see where I am, it is always to see what the other guitar player is playing when I can't hear them.

He is a monster fretless player that has played on a million tunes. I am surprised you didn't know who he was.

Nope....

I kind of heard the name before but unsure of where. Most of the bassist that I follow are either Jazz or R&B or Fusion players

Back