Formula 1 2015 Discussion

Uhhh....I just use an xbox controller plugged into my laptop. I like that it is analog instead of digital.

Your rig is my dream rig. It must have cost a few dollars more than mine. I must admit I feel a certain degree of envy.

Nice though...very, very, nice.

I take it you are not married or have a very understanding wife. Mine hates all of my hobbies, including the guitar.
Thanks, I started off with a keyboard...

Yup.

Not only do the turbo 6s sound like a gorilla farting into a metal trash can, but the switch has obviously caught several builders out and so far unable to compete. The power discrepancy between the power plants is taking all of the "racing" out of the races.

The switch back, can't come soon enough.
The current engines sound like the v10s and v8s did when they kablammo'ed. Every time they show an onboard shot, I think "Uh oh, his engine blew."

Rosberg drops the ball and lets Vettel qualify second. We'll see if he can pass Vettel in the race, or if he whines that Ferrari ruined his race.

Mercedes still have the ultimate pace, but Ferrari is very close. Raikonnen drove a hell of a race.

Spain is going to be very interesting.

Race recap:

Maldonado starts the race from the wrong grid position. He then has TWO off track excursions on the opening lap wherein he also made contact with another car.

Several laps later, Maldonado runs a purple lap. Inexplicable.

A few laps later, he runs up the back of Felipe Massa's car, damaging the rear end and putting an end to any possibility of Felipe scoring points after putting in a monster driving performance to get into the top ten from dead last due to having to start from pit lane.

This shit's not funny anymore. He really is going to hurt or kill somebody.

Ferrari is definitely in the hunt. Rumor has it that they will have a large horsepower increase before Canada. A little more straight line speed would be just the ticket for reigning in the Mercs.

McLaren took two steps forward and one step back. Alonso squeezed every available drop out of that car.

I need my Williams boys to get that chassis squared away Pronto. I counted on them being more competitive.

Overall best race of the year so far despite Crashtor doing his usual amount of damage.

It was a real shame that Nico had brake problems. It robbed us of a great duel between him and Kimi on the last two laps.

I don't think they showed Maldonado hitting Massa, but he should have gotten a penalty for screwing Felipe's race.

I have to say, the Lotus cars are looking pretty racey. A giant leap from last year for sure. How Crashtor managed a purple lap is still beyond my comprehension.

I think Nico cooked his brakes with all of those crazy corner dives.

Missed the race (most of it anyway) thanks for the recap OGG. I would like to see some more competition at the front but seems like the Mercedes are being slowly pulled back to the pack.

I have to say, the Lotus cars are looking pretty racey. A giant leap from last year for sure. How Crashtor managed a purple lap is still beyond my comprehension.

I think Nico cooked his brakes with all of those crazy corner dives.
Mercedes said they made changes to the cars on Friday to give them more speed, but at the expense of brake cooling. When Rosberg and Hamilton were running in traffic, their brakes overheated from lack of air getting to the cooling ducts, which caused a shutdown of the brake-by-wire system, which then automatically switched to the conventional system.

As a McLaren fan I was happy to see that they were able to get a little better during the weekend. I hate being a fan of crappy teams but I would like to see them be able to climb the ranks as they go through the year. If they can get both cars to finish a race and then even score some points that , to me, would be a victory considering how badly they are faring now.

Of course, even Minardi used to be able to score a point or two each season...

As a McLaren fan I was happy to see that they were able to get a little better during the weekend. I hate being a fan of crappy teams but I would like to see them be able to climb the ranks as they go through the year. If they can get both cars to finish a race and then even score some points that , to me, would be a victory considering how badly they are faring now.

Of course, even Minardi used to be able to score a point or two each season...

I have been watching McLaren's progress with great interest this season. This has got to be the worst start they ever had, but I remember they started on the back foot in 2009 and 2010, but they were able to get the car to the front by the end of the season. Although that gap wasn't as nearly as bad as where they are now.

Apparently the Honda engine has a radically different design compared to the other suppliers that has a great deal more potential once they iron out the reliability issues. Since the chassis is said to be quite solid it is possible that they could surprise a lot of people in the latter part of the season. It's thing's like this that keep me watching F1.

PDVSA must really be putting a lot of cash if Lotus thinks its worth it to keep him considering the extra cost he incurs with all the cars he's damaged/destroyed.
That's what I'm sayin'.

You've gotta be pretty awful to make people forget all about Romain Grosjean and his epic crashiness in 2012 and 2013.

Grosjean has turned into a damn good driver though. I don't see Crashtor getting any better. In fact, with each new season he seems to have gotten worse.

Well, Nico finally had a good race! It was amusing to hear Hamilton on the radio saying he couldn't get close enough to Vettel to overtake him without destroying his tires.

Looks like Maldanado lost half his rear wing. Hard to imagine he crashed, and in a race, as this is pretty uncharacteristic for him.

So much for the rumors of ferrari's big engine developments and faster pace. They looked about the same as every other race.

Reactions: OGG
Meh, not a very exciting race, but good for Nico.

I don't know what improved about the Ferrari either, it didn't appear to perform any better than before. Curious.

I never did see how Crashtor managed to cave in the right wing support, but he obviously kept his hitting streak alive.

Excited for Monaco, that will be a good race. It's all about chassis and aero, straight line speed means fuck all in that one. Ferrari being much more kind to their tires than the Mercedes gives them a huge advantage in being able to push the car deeper than the Silver Arrows dare to.

Williams has a similar leg up, and Massa is as good as anyone in making passes in turns. He could easily get in the podium.

As long as Crashtor doesn't put him in the fucking armcos.

Meh, not a very exciting race, but good for Nico.

I don't know what improved about the Ferrari either, it didn't appear to perform any better than before. Curious.

I never did see how Crashtor managed to cave in the right wing support, but he obviously kept his hitting streak alive.

Excited for Monaco, that will be a good race. It's all about chassis and aero, straight line speed means fuck all in that one. Ferrari being much more kind to their tires than the Mercedes gives them a huge advantage in being able to push the car deeper than the Silver Arrows dare to.

Williams has a similar leg up, and Massa is as good as anyone in making passes in turns. He could easily get in the podium.

As long as Crashtor doesn't put him in the fucking armcos.

I think the interesting part of the race was the fact that Hamilton couldn't pass Vettel for a really long time, so something changed in the Ferrari....it just wasn't as dramatic as the rumor mill suggested it would be. Kimi was running the old aero kit, and he was considerably behind Vettel (he usually is, but it seemed to be a much bigger gap). I guess Ferrari made a bit of progress, but it seems it is still not enough to catch a Mercedes...but it can hold them at bay without wacky pit strategies. Perhaps things will get more interesting, but I think OGG has it right, it is going to take some special track types to see much of a challenge to Merc (like Monaco).

Williams looked decent, especially Bottas. They seem to need some aero work. Car is fast in a straight line, but it seems to kind of suck in the corners. At least they are scoring lots of points to build something better for next year.

McLaren continues to be lost in the woods. Alonso retires and Button complains about simultaneous oversteer and understeer. :messedup: It seems the Honda power unit isn't their only problem, as the engine doesn't have much to do with the chassis issues. I hope they can pull it together, as it is a real embarrassment to have two world champion drivers with tons of driver experience barely in front of Manor racing.

The exciting part of the season so far is the young talent....even if it means pushing some of the established guys into F1 retirement in the next few years, including some of the talent we all love. I can't see some of the guys in their 30's having too many seasons left.

Back