Potato Salad

jaxn slim

Your Worst Nightmare
I just made my first potato salad from a recipe I found on FoodNetwork.com. It is soooo good.
Thought I'd share.

You guys have any good potato salad recipes?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/potato-salad-recipe.html
ig0707_potato_salad1.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

Ingredients
3 pounds small white potatoes
Kosher salt
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion

Directions
Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Allow the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, dill, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters or in half, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten. Add the celery and red onion, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/potato-salad-recipe.html?oc=linkback

I hate mayonnaise as well. I can't even stand to look at it, so I use sour cream or plain yogurt instead.
The recipe is almost identical to the one I use.

I love mayo, but here's a different take on potato salad for all you mayo haters. This one's a favorite in the Tralfaz household.

Cilantro-Avocado Potato Salad
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cilantro-avocado-potato-salad-recipe.html

2 pounds potatoes, peeled, small diced, and cooked in boiling salted water until tender, drained
1/3 cup finely minced red onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 (1-ounce) package cilantro, leaves picked and finely chopped

Directions
Combine potatoes, onions, and garlic in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 turns pepper. Add olive oil, tossing to coat. Add the avocados, lime juice, jalapenos, and cilantro, and toss well to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

I love mayo, but here's a different take on potato salad for all you mayo haters. This one's a favorite in the Tralfaz household.

Cilantro-Avocado Potato Salad
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cilantro-avocado-potato-salad-recipe.html

2 pounds potatoes, peeled, small diced, and cooked in boiling salted water until tender, drained
1/3 cup finely minced red onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
1 (1-ounce) package cilantro, leaves picked and finely chopped

Directions
Combine potatoes, onions, and garlic in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 turns pepper. Add olive oil, tossing to coat. Add the avocados, lime juice, jalapenos, and cilantro, and toss well to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

That sounds good. I'd probably omit the avacodo, but I like the idea of the jalapeno in there.....

That sounds good. I'd probably omit the avacodo, but I like the idea of the jalapeno in there.....

The avocado is a substitute for the mayo and holds it all together like a traditional potato salad. I think it would turn out kind of odd without avocado, but it's your mouth.

I love Mayo.....and a good potato salad. I used to have an excellent recipe but lost it. I do like the Reesers Red Skin Potato potato salad most than most of the stuff I have ever had (homemade/restaurant or otherwise). I just finished a couple pound container this week in fact.

I always wind up making up my potato salad based on what's in the fridge. I pretty much only ever make it when I've got new potatoes fresh out of the garden, so it still turns out amazing.

Back