Anyone use the iOS Health app? And if you do, what else do you use with it?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to get a scale and blood pressure device to use with the app. Had a few "moments" recently that make me want to monitor my health a little closer and if I can make it easier like this it would help me manage it all better.

I have poked around in it a little bit. The Nike running ap I use talks to it, so it knows how much exercise I'm getting, which is pretty cool. A lot of the stuff in that ap will gradually become more useful with time I gather, as other aps become available to use with it.

I have read there is a place in there to keep track of your medications, which I will look into soon. I take four and I have a page in my "notes" app to keep track of them, but if was was wheeled into the ER they might not think to look there.

Also when I get my apple watch it may "wake up" other parts of the Health app, but I don't plan on wearing that thing all the time so it may limit its usefulness.

Wow that was a rambling post. Probably triggered an alzheimer's alert in the health app...

I have poked around in it a little bit. The Nike running ap I use talks to it, so it knows how much exercise I'm getting, which is pretty cool. A lot of the stuff in that ap will gradually become more useful with time I gather, as other aps become available to use with it.

I have read there is a place in there to keep track of your medications, which I will look into soon. I take four and I have a page in my "notes" app to keep track of them, but if was was wheeled into the ER they might not think to look there.

Also when I get my apple watch it may "wake up" other parts of the Health app, but I don't plan on wearing that thing all the time so it may limit its usefulness.

Wow that was a rambling post. Probably triggered an alzheimer's alert in the health app...
I was trying to get the "Map My Walk" app to see it last night since thats what I use to keep track of my bike rides but I don't think it'll work. I might look at what other apps WILL work with it....

I was trying to get the "Map My Walk" app to see it last night since thats what I use to keep track of my bike rides but I don't think it'll work. I might look at what other apps WILL work with it....

Yeah it would probably be pretty easy to google up a list of apps that it works with. Also, others that don't may be on board soon, and Map My Walk is pretty popular I think...

OK, this thread prompted me to go ahead and fill out the "Medical ID" page in the Health app with my meds and emergency contacts. It is visible even if the phone is locked - really a cool little feature.

I was putting my insurance info in there also but decided maybe that shouldn't be viewable when the phone is locked.

Last edited:
ok. I got the Withings Blood Pressure Monitor and the cheaper scale. Party time!
party0
I'm not a fan of BP devices, but that one looks pretty cool. Anything to keep informed and ahead of potential health problems.

party0
I'm not a fan of BP devices, but that one looks pretty cool. Anything to keep informed and ahead of potential health problems.
I hate taking my BP and my doctors are always after me to keep a record at home so this at least makes it less painful to comply. The cuff was also easier to get to work than my old BP monitor, too.

Reactions: Tig
Thanks Mark for posting this thread, it prompted me to get my other health apps plugged into the iOS health app, now the dashboard shows all my workouts and walking, calories eaten, weight trends - it's pretty cool!

And when my Apple Watch finally arrives it will show heart rate also.

Next I need to get the Medical ID set up on Mrs. Roach's phone. It may be the best feature of the whole app - neither of us have any dire conditions or medication allergies, but it is good that in an emergency the responders could get contact info without having to hack the phone or something.

Last edited:
Back