Joni Mitchell health emergency

Sad, but I'm not surprised. She seems not to give a fuck about her health, at all - she is still a chain smoker, FFS.

There aren't many records that I keep revisiting than Hejira.

Yeah, I'm surprised she's lasted this long. While it's not my life, I have some resentment for Joni as she had one of the most amazing voices ever and she threw it away on three pack a day habit that destroyed that amazing instrument. I hope she recovers, but she's an ass.

I don't know if it made much of a difference; she's barely recorded anything in decades.

I'm not that kind of doctor, but I'm pretty sure that she's mentally ill, based on interviews.

"Joni was found unconscious in her home (Tuesday) afternoon. She regained consciousness on the ambulance ride to an L.A. area hospital,"

That's pretty how my BT was originally diagnosed. Hope she's ok.

I don't know if it made much of a difference; she's barely recorded anything in decades.

I'm not that kind of doctor, but I'm pretty sure that she's mentally ill, based on interviews.

I know. Turbulent Indigo was among her last and while the music is fine, and she did some decent stuff vocally within her tobacco induced limitations, she was the slightest shadow of her former self. From what I've read in the last five or so years she can't really sing anymore. The "crazy" artist thing definitely seems to have been part of her thing forever.

No Etheridge relationship, but she did have a daughter she gave up for adoption that she refuses to acknowledge. This is, of course, totally her right. It's just weird when she's been quoted as saying things like Dylan and I are the mother and father and Sting is our child. I get the metaphor despite my complete lack of agreement with this self-aggrandizing statement, which off-handedly dismisses the huge and amazing pool of music created by people that aren't part of this triumvirate.

Forgive my rant as I truly do hope she comes out of this in good shape.

I'm more a fan of her earlier output; Blue is an amazing album. It does seem like she is not the most balanced person, based on some interviews I have read, but we all have our demons. I wish her well!

Genius is often accompanied with crazy. She has both. Still one of my all time favorite female singers. I am very partial to 'Court and Spark' among others.

She was either born with or stricken with something that she's had all her life...

...apparently she contracted polio! Crazy. Apparently it limited her finger mobility and is why she uses alternate tunings.
Yes, she had polio as a child. I did not know about her finger mobility. I have also read that she has Morgellons Syndrome. People with that have a sense that they are infested with parasites, which must make life a living hell. She has struck me as quite bitter and the sweetness left her music long ago. My first album of Joni's was Hejira, and then I worked my way backwards. In sleepaway camp we would sing her songs - Circle Game made a strong impression on me and I had no idea it was hers until much later. Later I loved Shadows and Light and The Hissing of Summer Lawns.

WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/morgellons-disease-what-is-it

Back