5 or 6 effects...

Subdecay Quasar DLX -> Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver -> EHX Hot Tubes -> Catalinbread Echorec -> Amp Reverb & Tremolo

Clean boost (RC Booster), lite over drive, crunchier overdrive, Analog delay and a Stymon Mobius (is that cheating? :embarrassed:)

Assuming you're looking a building a pedal board you can put in front of any reasonable clean dry amp, mine would be:

Wah
Dirt pedal (preferably two stages of gain so it can go clean/crunch/filth)
Chorus
Delay
Reverb

If I have room I'd add a tuner pedal and either an eq or a boost for solos.

to be honest, I have never gigged with more than 1 pedal. Back in my college band, I had a Metal Zone going into a Peavey Classic 50 and in my last band, for the majority of the time a Rat going into Mesa Mark I. I rarely kicked in the Metal Zone, I just channel switched on the Peavey.

Let me see I have a delay, chorus, Fuzz, Distortion, OD and a wah...so that's 6. I'm good. I could lose the wah easily and possibly the OD (use the distortion as a OD but would mean more fiddling) so I could be at 4. If I gigged I think I would want a tuner pedal though

Let me see I have a delay, chorus, Fuzz, Distortion, OD and a wah...so that's 6. I'm good. I could lose the wah easily and possibly the OD (use the distortion as a OD but would mean more fiddling) so I could be at 4. If I gigged I think I would want a tuner pedal though

Is a tuner an effect?

In order of importance;

Overdrive
Compressor
Boost
Delay
Wah

Actually, that's all I've got on there now. And I barely ever use the wah.

I don't know if I have six "effects" on my board.

Boomerang 3 looper. (must have)
TC Harmony G-XT
Wampler Pinnacle
Wah
Delay
then an empty spot for phazer or reverb or octaver... something used sparingly.

Let's see...

My current small board: Polytune Mini > EP Booster > Foxpedal Kingdom > Foxpedal Wrath > TC T2 > Catlinbread Montavillian > Ditto.

If I had to drop one, it would probably be the Ditto.

Since the OP said "effects" and not "pedals", I would not include a tuner pedal as an effect.

So I would pick Wah, OD, Fuzz, Chorus, Delay. Can cover a lot of ground with those. I'm assuming the amp's reverb doesn't count, right?

Last edited:
A couple of catagories, I still go back and forth on, but the five effects I couldn't live without are there.

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive > Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer > Chorus (Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus or Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble) > Flanger (Mooer Eleclady) > Delay (Boss TE-2 Tera Echo, Boss DD-3 Delay, or TC Electronic Alter Ego V2

That's all I have now....

Boss tuner ---> Wampler Hot Wired V1 ---> CMAT Mods Signa Drive ----> EHX VPB-1 -----> EHX Neo Clone Chorus ----> Boss DD3 delay

Honestly I could live without the chorus......I am thinking that soon I may completely make over my pedalboard. The tune and the Signa Drive stay.

What I really need for what I do....
Light OD (could also be used as a boost)
More aggressive OD (Signa Drive)
Fuzz or distortion
Delay with tap timing
Some kind of mod.....probably not a chorus....I rarely use mine now.

Since the OP said "effects" and not "pedals", I would not include a tuner pedal as an effect.

So I would pick Wah, OD, Fuzz, Chorus, Delay. Can cover a lot of ground with those. I'm assuming the amp's reverb doesn't count, right?

Is an A/B box to switch between amps an effect?

Back