St. Patrick's Day Great Auroral Storm

aliensporebomb

Fretted instrument fan
The storm I saw with a friend the night of St. Patrick's Day was the most amazing auroral display I've seen in over ten years.

I took over 1100 pictures and even did a timelapse but I was going a little nuts panning the camera around so often. It was also the first time I ever really saw blue aurora borealis as well as purple and some other colors. Crazy night!

Camera Nikon D3200, lens Rokinon 16mm f2.0. ISO 1600 or 3200. Exposure time between 1-3 seconds.

DSC_8419.jpg

DSC_8443.jpg

DSC_8511.jpg

DSC_8523.jpg

Timelapse on Youtube:

I sure hope it's not ten years before I see something like that again. I took the pics just east of Siren, Wisconsin.

:cool: I'll have to check out the vid later but I love the stills, especially the last couple. Glad you got to see that!

I am still an aurora virgin. That needs to be fixed!

Ok, seeing the "northern lights" just went on my bucket list! Thanks for posting the pics and video aliensporebomb!

Reactions: Tig
It was a lot of fun. We parked in a wayside rest (me and a photographer friend) and a woman stopped and thought we were having car trouble and asked what we were looking at. I just pointed at the sky and the look on her face was worth about a hundred dollars.

Reactions: Tig
Back