1993 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass

Big_B

Yup!
I'm looking for input regarding a 1993 Fender Am Std J-Bass that I own.

From '89 to '94, Fender used a 22 fret neck (instead of traditional 20) and added TBX tone control on the Am Std J-Bass. To allow access to the upper 2 frets, they changed the lower cutaway and lower horn which gave the impression of a longer upper horn. People nicknamed them "longhorn" or "boner" bass. They also had a high mass bridge (good idea) with 2 1/2 inch E to G string spacing (bad idea). Normal string spacing is 2 1/4 inch. With 2 1/2 inch spacing, the outer strings slip off the fingerboard when playing high up the neck. This wide spacing also improperly positions the strings over the pickup poles. Halfway thru '94, Fender returned to traditional Am Std configuration.

The wide string spacing drove me crazy so I replaced the bridge with a Gotoh 301 which looks similar to the original but has std 2 1/4 inch string spacing (way better feel).

I have spoken to several veteran musicians about these basses and many have never heard of them. These will be vintage in a few years and I wouldn't be surprised to see some hit the resale market.

I'm considering selling mine and have 2 questions.

1) Is anybody familiar with a J-bass from these years? If so, can you share your impression?
ex) Better or worse than a typical Am Std? Worth more or less than a typical Am Std?

2) Should I sell with the Gotah 301 bridge and hype its playability? Or reinstall the original bridge and
hype its age and collectibility?

myBoner.JPG

ive got one the same as yours,i have'nt played it for a few years,but i loved the string spacing at the time,i use a 62 ri bass now,mines 1989 in black,think there worth about £850/£900 in good condition,its just laying under the bed in its case getting older and older

If you sell, I would re-install the original bridge for "vintage" appeal. Or, sell with the replacement and include the original in the sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foo
"Hey that looks kinda like a boner!"

"Jesus, Fred, what is it with you and thinking things look like a boner?"

- the first time that nickname was used, probably

Did you swap out the knobs too? That thing looks really odd. I have never seen one those.

Back