Joe Bonamassa???

Empty note...
Interesting............

I know that nobody here gives a fuck about what I think..Welcome to the corporate world..

I'd like to watch what????

I agree, and my wife refers to EJ as Eric No-Soul. Bonamassa does nothing for me. Lots of empty notes.

well....i have to disagree a little.....EJ's "clean" songs are spectacularl......bristol shore.....trail of tears......great songs......but his "distorted" stuff.....MEH....

and this isn't the thread to discuss EJ.....but i got to see him when he was "starving" before Tones came out.....and it was not like anything i've ever seen before or since

Last edited:
Show me ..
Point me in the direction..

No Soul.
You know how some guitarists give you a chill down your spine by playing just a couple of notes, and others can play a flurry of notes and you feel nothing at all besides the urge to go take a piss.

Bonnamassa simply seems like he's trying too hard to be bluesy and I find him boring.

No Soul.
You know how some guitarists give you a chill down your spine by playing just a couple of notes, and others can play a flurry of notes and you feel nothing at all besides the urge to go take a piss.

Bonnamassa simply seems like he's trying too hard to be bluesy and I find him boring.

i'm confused......you don't like desert rose.....or what??
i get the feeling about JB.....but desert rose is pretty good.

again, this really isn't the thread.....but i got to see EJ when he was nearly starving.....in detroit.....we made him come back for FIVE encores.....ALL jimi.....and it was soul shaking......no kidding.

Makes one wonder though why 50,000 people don't come out to his shows.
Kick me....Go ahead......Kick me..............

50,000 people don't go to shows of a certain artist because marketers don't promote that artist. Record and ticket sales have nothing to do with musical value.

Johnson and Bonamassa both bore the shit out of me. I'd rather listen the Kanye album Howie mentioned. :

Joe certainly has a nice gear collection at least.

50,000 people don't go to shows of a certain artist because marketers don't promote that artist. Record and ticket sales have nothing to do with musical value.
Well,we can agree to disagree on that one..

AC\DC,Leonard Cohen,Tom Petty, etc.....

Well,we can agree to disagree on that one..

AC\DC,Leonard Cohen,Tom Petty, etc.....

Those are great examples of those who made it through the marketing machine. Eric Johnson has remained a niche act, partly because it takes him 10 years to put out an album, and partly because those who control the industry "don't see the mass appeal". So he plays clubs instead of the types of venues he "should" play.

Last weekend I recorded 4 or 5 programs of Joe Bonamassa in concert and I've been watching them. Does anyone else find him to be a proficient blues player with absolutely zero soul? He plays notes but they're lifeless. Just de de de de deeee de de de deeee de de.

Say that to his face, tough guy!

Last weekend I recorded 4 or 5 programs of Joe Bonamassa in concert and I've been watching them. Does anyone else find him to be a proficient blues player with absolutely zero soul? He plays notes but they're lifeless. Just de de de de deeee de de de deeee de de.

I think you hit it on the head. It's like you started and finished your thread in one post.:thu:

seriously....if you listen/watch his solos (which are all almost exactly the same)....and then you put on eric johnson's Tones or Ah Via Musicom....and listen to HIS solos.....they're EXACTLY THE SAME.

JB puts on a good show.....but there's NOTHING original about him even tho everyone thinks so.

Those are banning words over at TGP.....but also true. I do like a few of his solos though.

I like Rock Candy Funk Party, his 70s retro fusion project. The actual Blues Borelording Day Job stuff I can leave but not take.

I'm not a fan of his heavy handed blues style and his Abercrombie & Fitch songwriting, but he plays the hell out of some blues-rock. His business model is amazingly successful and you'd be hard pressed to find another guitarist in his genre who is doing better.

I first saw/heard Joe Bonamassa at the Calling Festival in Hyde Park last year and was impressed, the guy can play and brings it live. Since picked up his 'Live at the Albert Hall' and 'Different Shade of Blue' albums and both are enjoyable listens. YMMV.

Back