Question: Cheap electric?

bsman

b00b
I end up having to spend time in Wisconsin at least once a year, and since my parents are 87 an 86, probably only going to get more frequent. I have a brother in law in Stoughton who likes to jam (he plays bass) and I've been contemplating buying a cheap electric and having it shipped to him so it's available when I'm there. I'm currently considering the Squier Vintage Modified '51 and the Affinity tele or strat. Any input on these or equivalents? I'd like to stay <$200 if possible and have also thought about frequently checking Reverb, or checking Cl when I'm there in June for two weeks, but frankly, the Madison CL isn't exactly chock-full of cheap, decent electrics.

GC and Heid Music both have plenty of Squiers in stock. I believe an affinity Tele goes for $179 brand new. Since some are very good and others aren't you might want to wait until you get here and test drive it before you buy it.

BTW, the Stoughton Opera House is one of my favorite places to see a show.

The current '51s IMO are very disappointing compared to the originals from years back - the necks are a lot thinner, and frankly, they sound and feel cheap - I tried one of the newer ones, and the old one I had back in the day was a MUCH better guitar overall. The Affinity Teles, OTOH, are little monsters. Can't go wrong with one of those.

I just picked up a Hofner shorty on a whim and it was way better than I thought it would be. It is only a single humbucker (that sounds pretty damn good) it is very small (easy to travel with). I did need to do a quick steel wool run over the frets when I changed the terrible strings that came on it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VMSQ512TS

BANG. $179 with free shipping. It's from Sweetwater, so it will be properly set up when it arrives.

f9f9cc2d017d52e9db3f650dec1d0a50.png

I would strongly recommend waiting to purchase. You can find some decent guitars at that price point if you are willing to spend a couple of hours in a local GC / MGR. Hold them all; after about 4-5 you'll get a baseline for expectations and you'll see if something hops out at you. Do not be picky about color/looks. I've seen a great many <$200 guitars that are utter junk, but here is a (partial?) list of guitars I've obtained for <$200:

* Matsumoku "Morris Hurricane / Stella" strat, $102. Ugly color, beautiful birds eye maple / rosewood neck/fb to die for. Sustain for days. Bought at MGR cheap cuz no one respects the brand.
* Squier Affinity Tele. Someone in Indonesia had a great day at work! Cool little guitar. $140. Neck alone is worth that.
* US built '94 (?) Peavey Predator. Love this strat copy! $60 used.
* Danelectro Dead On / Hornet reissue. Great fretboard, insanely good pickups, TWANG! $200 at MGR.
* Squier VM Jazzmaster. See: a million other posts on the interwebz. I got mine for $225 with a little haggling and friendly salesperson. I know Nash snobs who love this guitar.
* DeArmond M75, incredible pickups and coffin case, $199 used at Palmdale, CA GC.

The key is that most of these guitars really don't look great on paper, and their peers on the rack around them weren't much to write home about. But if you're willing to pick up each of the cheap guitars in Guitar Center or Music Go Round, etc., you stand a good chance of finding one or two that are above average (or if you're willing to do several trips, maybe even "good").

There is an art to guitar bargains, and it is patience and a willingness to "touch 'em all."

Last note: If you raise your price point to $350, your world expands enormously to used MIM Fenders, good Asian hollowbodies, etc.

Good luck!

If you raise your price point to $350, your world expands enormously to used MIM Fenders, good Asian hollowbodies, etc.

Good luck!

I think you are on to something. Raise what you are going to spend on the guitar. Don't stop at $350. Think about it, guitar will always be at you bro in law's. Your wife won't ever see it. I'm thinking Fender custom shop.

Affinity Tele - I have 3 in my collection. I flipped a couple, but never paid over $100 for any of the 5 that went across my bench. All were used and several were in mint condition.

Take it FWIW, but GP (who, admittedly runs a lot of guitarfetish ads) loved the Slick T-style they tested.
I wish they would do some in Flat Natural, non-reliced though. But I do find them hot, and believe they have good reason to be good guitars.

I like my Greg Bennett Formula for an inexpensive Tele style guitar. Can still find some online, I think or used.

Here's something I'm contemplating:

31mdw4e1VuL.jpg

It's an Axl 1216 Jr. I can get it shipped to Wisconsin for the princely sum of $199 and it looks like it'd be a fun little guitar to have down in Stoughton, but not something I'd reret leaving.

Back