My next project

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I just won an Short Scale Electromatic Jr Jet bass neck on eBay. Just need a body to pair it with.
Got a lead on an Astro -Jet body but dont know if its gonna be available or what it would cost.
The easiest thing would be just get an Epi LP or SG Special body, easily available.
I could get a tele body I guess, but that would look kinda weird with the 2x2 headstock.

Also there is the question of pickups. TVJ Thundertron is prob out of the question, would cost more than the rest of the bass.

Anybody got any other ideas? Dont want to spend a fortune.

I'm not sure what would work with that neck. I guess you could get an SG body and move the bridge back to the end of the body.

Got a bid in on an Epi LP special body. Have already been outbid on one, but there's plenty of em (and SGs) up on ebay all the time. I ain't paying much. Just gotta be patient.
Will prob have to widen the neck pocket, move the bridge back, plug some holes, and spray on some more paint.
Bridge type will depend on the resulting neck angle.
Based on the diff in scale 30" vs 24.75, the bridge will have to go back 5.25/2= Should be plenty of room to work with.

Last edited:
A Mustang body has a 24" scale. You could get a brand new one from Warmoth for $150 and rattle can paint it flat black. DONE!

A Mustang body has a 24" scale. You could get a brand new one from Warmoth for $150 and rattle can paint it flat black. DONE!

Yeah, the Mustang basses are the same body as the guitar, the bridge is just pushed back.

I always wondered if a single-cut body would balance well. But, as I say this I remember we're talking about a short scale. Sounds like a fun project. Short-scales are kinda fun to play once in a while.

Here's what I have so far. Hardware is on the way on a slow boat from China.
The resultant neck angle is pretty steep, a little too steep even for a tunomatic without raising the bridge abnormally high.
So I found an unslotted archtop bridge to sand the base flat on and cut for the string slots. Had just enough room left over for a short 3" tailpiece.
Should be pretty cool. Am thinkng about springing for a TV Jones. They sell a mount and surround that will drop right in that P90 hole.
image.jpg1_zpshfmdqkmq.jpg

Still havnt made up my mind on which TVJ to try
Thunderton or Thunderblade would be the safe choice,
but the Thunder Mag is intriguing. I used to own a 4003 and I miss it.

Thunder’Tron – Punch, Clarity & Responsiveness
Named by Saul Koll of the Koll Guitar Company due to its thunderous bottom-end. The Thunder’Tron is an all-around stand-out performer with superior dynamic sensitivity and punch. String-to-string response is excellent, and notes ring out with supreme fullness and clarity.
TT-NE-GLD-220x122.png

Thunder’Blade – Clear, Bold & Smooth
Similar to the Thunder’Tron, but with steel blades instead of pole screws. The blades provide a larger magnetized surface area, producing greater inductance. The resulting tone retains the Thunder’Tron clarity, yet is full, bold and smooth. A great choice for basses with wider string spacing.
http://tvjones.com/site/wp-content/uploads/TB-DYN-NKL-220x122.png
TB-DYN-NKL-220x122.png

Thunder’Mag – Explosive Sound
LIKENESS / Derived from:
Thunder'Tron meets Rickenbacker
TONE / Characteristic:
Rickenbacker-esque.
More dynamics.
Aggressive but not harsh

"The TV Jones Thunder’Mag has explosive treble with lots of bottom end. This special tone is the result of offset T-Armond cylinder magnets. The tone is quite aggressive with a quick attack, and exceptional pop and clarity. With two coils there is a hint of compression on the high end and no 60-cycle hum."
Thundermag-EM-CHR--e1332955939330-220x106.png

Those look pretty nice. I think I would like the Thunder Mag but I think it would kinda make it a rock bass. The others would be more versatile.

Those look pretty nice. I think I would like the Thunder Mag but I think it would kinda make it a rock bass. The others would be more versatile.

I have a Guild Newark St Starfire and a SX P/J. Both strung w flats and both really versatile. I think something punchy and growly with some zing might be fun. Plus might not the floating wooden bridge / trapeze arrangement soften a bit of the Thundermags high end?

I didn't think about that. I'm not sure but it seems like it would soften it. I think that bridge and tailpiece are going to be cool. I would like the sound of the Thunder Mag. I use the "j-bass" growl sound a lot playing rock. I'm going to keep these in mind when EG builds me a bass. Not sure which of the three I would choose though. Give me something other than fender single-coils to mess with.

Back