I Can Haz New Telescope?

Part of me wants a telescope but the rational part of me says that given where I live I'd have to go a ways to get decently dark skies. We are actually somewhat fortunate as I am far enough away from SFO and San Jose and to the west is mountains and a big old ocean that I can see things pretty well to about mag 3-4 with the naked eye but it's not anything like where you live Fumbles.

The other rational part is that I will be thinking Hubble when I go to look at something like Saturn or the Orion Nebula and will see something much much different. I still think about it a lot though. You are certainly in an outstanding place for amazing skies.

You get over the Hubble mentality pretty quick when you realize you're seeing stuff with your own eyes instead of a picture that somebody else took. That being said, galaxies (when you can see them) earn their lovingly-gifted name of "faint fuzzies". Globular clusters are badass, though, and the planets and Moon are awesome too. And if you really get the urge, let me know and head on up toward Jackson :lol:

So far I've decided that it should be either the Celestron Nexstar (I'm looking at the Celestron 8se right now- total kit weight- 33 pounds, or that nice german equatorial mount,plus the telescope itself . The mount weighs about 25 pounds. Would the mount just need the optical tube itself, or would there be more to it?

If I can get the german mount & add an optical tube for just a little more weight, but A LOT more performance, I'll do it. Not sure if this is how it works though.

The mount and tripod is definitely the lions share of the weight. Mass absorbs vibration :grin:

And honestly, the 8" NexStar will be a great "beginner" telescope :the:

Indeed.
Not sure I would call that a beginner's scope, that's for sure.

That would be the envy of many a star-party. Especially if you get a super-de-duper tripod for it.

That set up would be kick-ass!

Back