WTF: Well, this is a new one.

It's funny that he's sleeping behind the dumpster, but he leaves the bike in a place that is bound to draw attention. My guess is a mental issue producing the homelessness.
No doubt. We have a lot of homeless here.

"the drive by dumpsters"?

it seems interesting that the guy can afford a "race bike", but not rent.

Just because he's homeless now doesn't mean he always was. Plus in LA I doubt selling it would even make a dent in getting an apartment.

So 40 minutes before the tow truck arrived the guy showed up and moved his shit around the building. On my way out I could see down the alley where he has a residence set up with a large tarp covering the back corner of the alley where the dumpster is. It was pretty cold last night and I feel bad for him on one level but he needs to find someplace else to live. The property managements security was supposed to have moved him out last night. I'll see if he is actually gone in a couple of hours.

Was... was that an axe handle sticking up in one of the motorbike photos?

Be careful Mark. He may literally be an axe-wielding maniac. On a bike, no less!

So 40 minutes before the tow truck arrived the guy showed up and moved his shit around the building. On my way out I could see down the alley where he has a residence set up with a large tarp covering the back corner of the alley where the dumpster is. It was pretty cold last night and I feel bad for him on one level but he needs to find someplace else to live. The property managements security was supposed to have moved him out last night. I'll see if he is actually gone in a couple of hours.
I'm with you on that. On one level it sucks being homeless. On another, though, you can't allow people to live by your dumpster.

I work in self storage and a common problem is people living in their units. First, we're not zoned for residential. We don't have open bathroom facilities for people at all hours. Plus these people tend to be unshowered for Jeebus knows how long and the building starts to smell. Plus other customers tend to be frightened by people just popping out of their units at weird hours.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1425336410-014154-jpg.19191

OK so maybe that's not an axe handle on second glance. Still, be careful. You don't want to end up in a trash can or several.

I see quite a few homeless every day and even talk to a few regulars. From what I've seen over the years, homeless people range from various levels of crazy to down on their luck lost it all's. A bunch in the middle are junkies or people who gave up on themselves and tried to run away from the world/society. It must be hell.

I like to support charities that help them learn job skills and paths out of poverty. Some homeless are simply lazy and don't want to work their way out.

One thing is common to most, they shit and piss all over the place and have no problem littering with discarded blankets, clothing, and anything else they don't want to carry around.

Bunch of years ago one of my neighbors bought a produce market. There was a homeless guy living behind the market in his van. My neighbor told him he'd have to clear out in the near future

Homeless dude went next door to kmart, bought a shotgun and shells then killed my neighbor right in front of two of his kids.

Some of you know that me and Mrs Devil volunteer with a homeless charity. We even took donations instead of gifts at our wedding to help out.
It was pretty routine for the last year or so, but lately it's getting harder to care. Some of the mental problems are real roadblocks to getting people motivated to get off the streets. And the junkies are there own set of problems. My wife was helping this one gentleman out with his resume and interview skills. He was dumbfounded that no one would call him back. Annie suggested he trim his beard and hair and try to look more presentable in the interviews. He sent an email saying that or group was in league with the devil and he called my wife several horrible names.
Good news is he hasn't come back, because I am none too pleased with him

Last edited:
I see quite a few homeless every day and even talk to a few regulars. From what I've seen over the years, homeless people range from various levels of crazy to down on their luck lost it all's. A bunch in the middle are junkies or people who gave up on themselves and tried to run away from the world/society. It must be hell.

I like to support charities that help them learn job skills and paths out of poverty. Some homeless are simply lazy and don't want to work their way out.

One thing is common to most, they shit and piss all over the place and have no problem littering with discarded blankets, clothing, and anything else they don't want to carry around.

I was surprised (but probably should not have been ) to see many of the same ones asking for handouts, after 18 months working away from downtown.

Back