Bought a guitar. Hate it.

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
I bought this Ibanez Talman acoustic/electric from a guy on CL tonight. He was asking $140, but I offered and got him at 100. It's actually got a decent sound plugged in, but not enough to make it worth keeping. Acoustically, it sounds like a fucking cigar box guitar. The body is too small and the neck is too thin. I'm going to put this right back on CL and get my hundred bucks back.
100_3690.JPG

Can't help you on the neck.

On the rest of it, though, I'd be tempted to stick a magnetic soundhole pickup in it and play it like a jazz box.

On the rest of it, though, I'd be tempted to stick a magnetic soundhole pickup in it and play it like a jazz box.
I've been dreaming of doing this as a project with a cheap shallow acoustic for some time now.

I replaced the nut on one of those for a friend. Yeah, acoustically it wasn't anything to write home about.

Sounds like it'd suit my needs down to the ground as I don't have long fingers so small necks can be beneficial plus I'm looking for a thinline electro acoustic with a cutaway to use live rather than my Yamaha jumbo. The Yamaha sounds great plugged and unplugged and is going nowhere but just the ergonomics of a jumbo on a crowded pub stage makes a thinline a lot more attractive. Unplugged sound wouldn't actually matter that much as it'd only ever get used plugged in.

Unfortunately, wrong continent.

I have the blue burst version of this guitar that I bought 12 or 13 years ago. It's the guitar that has gotten the most play in the ensuing years. I string it with a heavy set electric string (plain G). I get used to the sound until I play one of my regular acoustics...they sound vastly better. But the Talman is my beater that I don't have to worry about with my soon to be 11 year old and our four year old. I rarely plug...I actually can't remember if I've ever plugged it in.

Well, that's the PITA thing. After it started howling on me at higher volumes last night, I was about to stick a feedback beater in it. That's when I noticed the stupid, irregular shaped sound hole. Thus, everything sucks.

I actually have an old Dimarzio sound hole pickup that would kick all kinds of ass in that thing...plus I love small necks...

...hmmmmmm...

Dude, I'm gonna sell it for the same hundred bucks I paid for it. All I want is my hundo back out of it.

You someone is going to undercut you if you advertise $100.
Yeah, I'm either going to have to ask more, or be firm and honest. I'm thinking about being very honest in the ad saying "I bought this for a hundred bucks, it's not for me, all I want to do is sell it for the same." I'll see if that works. $100 is still a really good deal for this guitar and things sell well here in the Chicago area.

Back