So while rearranging my board....

Chad

Slender Hobbit
I came to the realization that I like modulation effects before the dirt. I had a Phase 90 and Zephyr fuzz arrive at the same time so I hooked them up quickly, not paying attention to where I put them and I ended up with the Phase 90 before the fuzz and I thought it sounded great. Then I arranged my board to accommodate the new pedals and I put the Phase 90 after the fuzz and I didn't like it. I never really use my chorus when I have dirt on, because I always find it to sound too "processed." Kind of like the late 80s effect racks made everything sound. So this morning I moved the chorus before my dirt and it sounds much better. I still probably won't use it with dirt, but it sounds way better.

I prefer my Phase 90 before dirt as well. As for chorus, always post dirt. Unlike yourself Chad, I dig the dirt driven chorus/flange sound. I think what may make a difference is the type of dirt used too. If it is very gritty sounding which I don't use, it will sound kind of harsh.

I think it depends on if your pedal is a distortion pedal or a boost pedal.

Normally you put a modulation pedal in front of an amp.... so if the distortion pedal is like an "amp in a box" like the Wampler Pinnacle, then a Phaser or Flanger sounds good out front.

Other times, some of us want that 80's hair metal flanging. :helper:

I prefer my Phase 90 before dirt as well. As for chorus, always post dirt. Unlike yourself Chad, I dig the dirt driven chorus/flange sound. I think what may make a difference is the type of dirt used too. If it is very gritty sounding which I don't use, it will sound kind of harsh.

That's how I do it too. Phase in front, Chorus in the rear. :)

I think it depends on if your pedal is a distortion pedal or a boost pedal.

Normally you put a modulation pedal in front of an amp.... so if the distortion pedal is like an "amp in a box" like the Wampler Pinnacle, then a Phaser or Flanger sounds good out front.

Other times, some of us want that 80's hair metal flanging. :helper:

2 Fuzzes and an overdrive. All 3 are Mojo Hand FX though.

That's how I do it too. Phase in front, Chorus in the rear. :)

I used to put chorus in the end and I liked it there. I think it may be this pedal. It is the TC Electronics Corona. It already borders on a too processed sound alone, so hitting it with dirt may push it too far.

I used to put chorus in the end and I liked it there. I think it may be this pedal. It is the TC Electronics Corona. It already borders on a too processed sound alone, so hitting it with dirt may push it too far.

There is much to be said about what kind of signal a pedal can handle in and out. Many of the digital pedals squirm if you smash them with too much signal.

I've really been experiencing this as I've been dialing in my pedal board to shift from working with my acoustic guitar over to an electric. The main difference was an A/B box sending the signal out to the PZ Pre or to the Orange in... but the settings were very different on the effects. It's going to work smoother to get it down to two boards... one Electric, one Acoustic... and A/B between those paths.

Back