Show us your bike

Here's our leader's new mount
@Mark Wein
View attachment 18909
I went on a short ride when I got home. It's amazing what a difference a nice bike makes. I feel like I went from an Agile strat to a an American Standard strat. Perfect for my abilities and needs without costing $8000 like the bike my son and I were looking at in your shop :)

Also amazed at the weight difference. It's a bigger bike and seems to weigh half of my
Old one.

I went on a short ride when I got home. It's amazing what a difference a nice bike makes. I feel like I went from an Agile strat to a an American Standard strat. Perfect for my abilities and needs without costing $8000 like the bike my son and I were looking at in your shop :)

Also amazed at the weight difference. It's a bigger bike and seems to weigh half of my
Old one.

It also goes perfectly with the Death Star shirt. :thu:
HNBD!

Old one.

Before I met Mrs. P, I was always a cheap Walmart bike type of guy. When I was a kid, I'd get a cheap BMX bike and upgrade all the components, but never really did anything with mountain bikes.

Mrs. P worked at a bike shop for a few years and wouldn't let me buy a Walmart bike. Our first mountain bikes together were Specialized Rock Hoppers. Nice enough bikes without costing a fortune.

The bike I ride now is a Cannondale Trail 5 29er. I love that bike, even though it's on the lower end of the spectrum (I think I paid about $500 for it.)

Best $125 I've spend in a while:
The Garmin Edge 200 GPS computer. I've avoided bike computers for a good 7+ years, relying on my "calebrated" legs for speed, etc. I had several over the years but until now, didn't want one.
edge-200.png

Set it up and go. Simple. It collects plenty of data and I don't need heart rate and cadence that the higher units can track. You can set up training plans, weight goals, track progress and miles, etc.

Today's ride on the fixed gear (calories are likely higher since there is no coasting):
47.07 miles
2 hours 31 minutes
18.7 MPH average
2622 calories used
25.9 MPH max speed
65 feet climbing

It has more on a web based page created for each ride. I'm diggin' it. No cables. No tire diameter settings.
The new bike will be at the shop Monday.

Last edited:
I thought about getting something like that but I use my iphone and the strava app for now. I'm not sure it would be ok for a ride longer than about 80 miles but I've never gone that far so haven't had to worry about the battery life. Does it connect to something like strava?

65' of climbing....dang my "flat rides" that I'm doing post surgery have more climbing than that :P...it's a flat 270' for me to go to work :Wave:

Reactions: Tig
I thought about getting something like that but I use my iphone and the strava app for now. I'm not sure it would be ok for a ride longer than about 80 miles but I've never gone that far so haven't had to worry about the battery life. Does it connect to something like strava?

65' of climbing....dang my "flat rides" that I'm doing post surgery have more climbing than that :tongue:...it's a flat 270' for me to go to work :Wave:

It connects to a Garmin ap to synch data. From there you can see and play with everything online. It also maps and charts the ride. The online ap gives me enough Power and flexibility to see all the tech stuff I like without having to fumble through complicated or poorly created web pages.

Thanks! Looked at it a bit more and it seems that it is a stripped down Edge 500 without the ANT+ stuff that I wouldn't care about anyways so it would be a good choice for me should I want to persevere my phone for ...use as a phone. I will have to keep an eye out for a good deal now :thu:

BTW never meant to belittle your effort (in case I came off that way). You'd kick my ass if we rode together. I just can't imagine a ride that long that is got so little elevation. Yesterday's ride which intentionally avoided elevation changes still came out at 568' for 26.8 miles

Thanks! Looked at it a bit more and it seems that it is a stripped down Edge 500 without the ANT+ stuff that I wouldn't care about anyways so it would be a good choice for me should I want to persevere my phone for ...use as a phone. I will have to keep an eye out for a good deal now :thu:

BTW never meant to belittle your effort (in case I came off that way). You'd kick my ass if we rode together. I just can't imagine a ride that long that is got so little elevation. Yesterday's ride which intentionally avoided elevation changes still came out at 568' for 26.8 miles

:grin: You didn't come off that way, I just live in an area flatter than my 6th grade girlfriend was.

Around here, bridges offer the only elevation changes. The "mighty" Kemah Bridge:
0829_LOC_Kemah-Bridge-012-300x146.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

The Fred Hartman Bridge (440 ft):
(part of the upcoming Saturday ride)
hartman.JPG

The Specialized CruX Elite EVO is finally here and I'm still working on the fit, which is proving to be difficult. I measured my existing rode bike (that has 172.5 cranks vs the new 170's). The distance between the seat and center of the cranks is much shorter for the same knee bend, even with the new seat pushed more forward than the old bike's.

I still have plenty of tweaking to do and will likely get a stem 17 degree stem to lower the bars more. I feel like I'm on a hybrid bike now. I replace the semi-knobbies with some jumbo 32 Conti slicks, plus my old Fizik saddle.

16640927296_2f2b5ee1a2_b.jpg

16640927466_c6cdc70b5a_b.jpg

16640927436_d71b06e723_b.jpg

16640927616_9c67ebfd8e_b.jpg

16640927606_c6029eba3e_b.jpg

Bone frog to remember the SEALS that we lost.
16640927596_c0d05c483f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!!

I, myself, am in the market for a new mountain bike. I had hoped to get one of my friend's custom frames full suspension 29ers, but I am afraid a full custom build is out of my price range.

I am looking for a good production full suspension 29er with a modern, tightened up (in terms of geometry) rear end, and somewhat slacker front end with at least 120, and maybe up to 140 mm travel. For my riding style and conditions, this sort of trailbike would fit the bill nicely. The DeVinci line looks interesting.

2015-Atlas-RX-Noir-Vert__.jpg

the 140 front at $3499.00

or there is this on with 120mm up front and $500 less.

2015-ATLAS_RC_____.jpg

Specs and such here: http://www.devinci.com/bikes/bike_615_scategory_134 The white one is the Atlas RC. The black one is the RX.

Thoughts from you guys?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
10665301_10152614459488819_5818637229748723403_n.jpg

For us married types. HaHa!

But I don't wear tight kits much. :wink: And white kits just are verboten for me.

It is still roadie land up here as the dirt roads are not dried out enough to allow bicycles, and the trails certainly are not. And they should not be at this time of year.

So for the first time, I am going to join my shop club group on the first ride of the year. I usually wait and continue nordic skiing, but due to the low snow year, that is not happening. So, time to bring out this guy, that I was fortunate enough to purchase from a friend here! @Tig :)

IMG_3649-1.JPG

Last edited:
So true that cartoon

Fortunately I don't have a kit...or gloves (I don't get why people need gloves??? I've heard the reasons but I still don't get it). And even more fortunate I don't have the gut of a typical middle aged guy :thu:

So true that cartoon

Fortunately I don't have a kit...or gloves (I don't get why people need gloves??? I've heard the reasons but I still don't get it). And even more fortunate I don't have the gut of a typical middle aged guy :thu:

Bare hands versus pavement = one good reason to wear them. I like the padding for vibration dampening and grip when sweating in hot weather.

The only matching kits I had were from the teams I was on.
lampre-guy.jpg

Bare hands versus pavement = one good reason to wear them. I like the padding for vibration dampening and grip when sweating in hot weather.

Yeah that's the one I've heard. I tend to go for the "try not to fall" method. Putting your hand out can also be a good way of breaking your wrist/arm and the one time I have gone down (thank you fucking minivan) my hands never came off the handles and my shoulder and forearm took the heat so gloves wouldn't have made any difference.

Granted I ride alone so I don't have to worry about those crazy peloton crashes :P

Nice look that one :thu:

lampre-guy.jpg

I always wear gloves, though often, they are the deerskin Eagle brand hardware store ones. Sometimes I wear my Giro short finger ones if it is hot. If it is cold, I wear both, or really cold, some Pearl Izumi lobster claws, or an old swix pair I have so I can wipe snot on them.

Back