What are you working on this week?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Now that NAMM week and the flu plague are over here I can get back to it. I think I'm going to work up L-O-V-E by Nat Cole today. We play it as a vocal tune in All Star Trio but I've never really learned it. Back to ii V I's and all that stuff too.

There is a sweetness to this song.

The Catalinbread Valcoder demo Howie posted reminded me of the song.

Last edited:
I going to relearn a version of "All Blues".

I used to know it but forgot it.

I'm still working on the previous stuff.

There is a sweetness to this song.

I love playing that. :)

Been working on a kind of mash up of Snowin' on Raton that is somewhere between REK's killer cover

and Townes original

Been trying to come up with an acceptable arrangement for quite a while

Nothing songwise. Trying to build an effects loop with a treble bleed volume on the return and decided to try and use a fender tbx I had lying around as a switchable tbx or hp/lp on the send. Just to see if it works. Right now I'm slowly going about prepparing a bb housing, and leaving enough space to incorperate a mosfet booster later.

Now that NAMM week and the flu plague are over here I can get back to it. I think I'm going to work up L-O-V-E by Nat Cole today. We play it as a vocal tune in All Star Trio but I've never really learned it. Back to ii V I's and all that stuff too.

Nat King Cole was a really good jazz musician. I really like him

He is also the poster boy for bad financial planning and is used as an example by life insurance companies of how poor estate planning can be disastrous. (I am not making this up.)

I have put the Muse Burst into open D tuning and have realized that it is the same as banjo tuning in terms of forming chords, but has the advantage of two deeper notes.

Carol now hosts a monthly Pagan meditation group at the church, and I am trying to write a song for each Pagan holiday that comes along. In December I wrote Celebrate the Yuletide; I just wrote a song for Imbolc using the open D tuning. I'm also working on another new song in this tuning; I can also do some neat instrumental stuff with the open D. I guess my next move will to be to put a pickup in the Muse Burst. :wink:

I'm kinda reassessing my practice plan at the moment after playing some jazz with my bass player Martin Friday morning. Amazing how actually playing music shows you what you should be practicing :embarrassed:

I'm working on some original music and practicing 2 and 3 part looping with the VoiceLive 3. It's a whole unique set of challenges and rewards compared to the single phrase Ditto looper I was using before... plus I can loop guitar AND vocals.

You Shook Me All Night Long, possibly one of the greatest rock songs ever written!

I have an audition on Wednesday. It's one of the tunes on the list. Neber played it before. Probably because there aren't many people who can sing it! LOL

The important thing is to always be trying to improve.

This is what keeps me interested. The guitar is such a versatile instrument. It's the greatest instrument in my opinion.

The piano/keyboard is excellent too of course. It's right up there.

Lately it's been my rest-stroke technique on the bass.

I usually use a "floating finger" technique-more like a fingerstyle acoustic guitarist (vs the classical method of plucking the string & resting it on the lower string), & sometimes a "thumb/middle" plucking approach that I borrowed from John Williams the classical guitarist, in which he describes how some African acoustic fingerstyle guitarists play. Although Jeff Beck does a similar thing. I haven't seen any bassist do this technique, actually, although I'm sure there are some.

I've been practicing some Return to Forever Stanley Clarke basslines.

Yeah, my right hand was a little sore today.

Wait...that didn't sound right
.:embarrassed:hmy:

My wife and I watched Pepe Romero play last night in Dallas.

Not only was it very enjoyable, it was very motivational. I was afraid I would want to quit after seeing him. Instead, I've been motivated to play and try ideas all day today.

After watching his performance of Gran Jota, I understood there are so many different sounds a guitar can make. Dismissing them as "tricks" is unnecessarily limiting. Today has been spent with open strings, harmonics, right-hand rolls -- all the things that are "easy" on a guitar but still sound good.

Furiously learning tunes for the new band. Everything from Earth Wind and Fire to Bruno Mars to GnR. Lots of disco and R&B. Never played so many maj7 and 9 chords in my life.

I just wrote another song... and I threw the first draft at an audience at an open mic. Hearing it back, I've already changed up parts of the chorus and I completely re-wrote the second verse, but I'm pretty happy with where it's at.

We have a gig on Friday and I'm still trying to remember every line to the new additions: "No Diggity" Blackstreet, "Thinking Out Loud" Ed Sheeran, and "Baby I Love Your Way" Frampton/Big Mountain.

We make a point of trying to have at least one new song every other week, but we've been on a winter break, so we're throwing in 4 new songs to keep pushing ourselves to never be complacent.

Back