The NAMM booth I was prepared to scoff at but....

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
the funky neck angle perfectly distributes the weight of the instrument across both strap buttons and puts the instrument (and especially the fretboard) in a pretty ergonomic playing position. Decent enough instruments but a concept that immediately make you think that the whole thing is stupid. After playing it in person though you see what they are getting at. They need to make instruments that don't remind us of existing and iconic designs so that it doesn't look so messed up though.

10919902_10153107795072425_875787759663759909_o.jpg

10931639_10153107796447425_5328070706992640227_o.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with you that the body shape needs to change. I think that is exactly why Klein does what he does. He just charges a kings ransom to own one.

Couldn't the same thing be accomplished be relocating the strap buttons?

I think it also depends on how the shape allows the body to balance on those points. You have to put one of those basses on to really feel the difference. The basses go from being fairly heavy to almost weightless once its on you since your left shoulder isn't carrying the majority of the weight of the instrument anymore.

That is so rad. I would have a blast playing a gig with one and watching people come in and try to figure out if their eyes were playing tricks.

I could live with the looks for a bass that just stays upright on its own. It’s not like anybody cares what the bass player looks like anyway. And $1900 isn’t a bad price for an MIA bass from a small shop.

Back