Power options for telescope rig

So I know there are all kind of rechargeable battery packs that you can buy or build, but I was thinking - I've got a 36v golf cart. Couldn't I get a couple of step-down transformers to power my motors and camera and such? Like these? http://www.icstation.com/lm2596s-step-down-digital-display-p-2735.html

I could even do one for the laptop, and hardwire the thing into the cart! :idea:

I don't see why not.

Another option is a big old 12v deep-cycle truck battery. I bought a couple of those for my boat a few years back. They weren't that expensive (really) and were powerhouses.

The trick with any battery system like that is a GOOD charger. Not one of those POS car ones for $19 you can buy at Wal-Mart. A QUALITY one will set you back $100-ish, but they are worth their weight in gold.

I don't see why not.

Another option is a big old 12v deep-cycle truck battery. I bought a couple of those for my boat a few years back. They weren't that expensive (really) and were powerhouses.

The trick with any battery system like that is a GOOD charger. Not one of those POS car ones for $19 you can buy at Wal-Mart. A QUALITY one will set you back $100-ish, but they are worth their weight in gold.

Well, the charger I've got is actually for the golf cart, and the batteries are fairly new, so no worries on that regard. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry anything that shouldn't be fried :lol:

Well, the charger I've got is actually for the golf cart, and the batteries are fairly new, so no worries on that regard. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry anything that shouldn't be fried :lol:

Yeah, I imagine that would get expensive, quick......but again, as long as you can specify input/output voltage and the amp rating is cool, you should be all set.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm not that knowledgeable about electric stuff so I can't offer any specific help...my power needs are minimal - just fans for the primary mirror and a dew heater or two. We have plug-ins at the site so I just need a transformer dealie to turn AC into cigarette lighter power.

Sorry about the technical language... :tongue:

Back