Oh bloody hell...GAS attack.

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
Seriously...I must have this. :embarrassed:
This being BOSS' new switching system ES 8. Would really do my setup the world of good.

Short summary:
8 loops for pedals (2 of them stereo)
2 guitar inputs
Addional inputs for control/expression pedals
Amp channel switching (fuck yeah)
Midi (oh hell yeah!)
Separate tuner out
Both preset and manual mode, and you can program the order of the loops per preset (fucking hell yeah!)
Switchable buffers
And probably some stuff I forgot...

A bit pricey, but damn this would simplify a whole lot of stuff. :embarrassed:

I can't recall seeing anything else that does the same job and costs less, to be honest.
That said, for the setup I use with a couple of my bands, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for, so price isn't really that much of an issue. :wink:

There's a giant thread on TGP about programmable loop switchers.

Interesting how looping systems are slowly changing the dynamic of the boards. Wonder how long it will take until the world fully returns to rack mounted systems again.

There's a giant thread on TGP about programmable loop switchers.

I never go to TGP, so I wasn't aware of that thread. :embarrassed:
That place scares the crap out of me. :wink:

The only sort of similar products I've found in a fairly sensible price range is the Carl Martin or One Control units, both both of them lack functions I need (and the OC one is about the same price as the Boss). Voodoo Lab is definitely out of the question, as I'd need at least 2 separate units. There are a few others as well, either lacking in features, or not enough loops. Key thing is it has to have both the loops, midi and amp switching, fairly small footprint, and the ability to rearrange the order of the loops, depending on the preset. And no dip switches! :mad: :embarrassed:

There are a bunch of units like that for a lot less cash. They may not have all the features, but Voodoo Labs, Carl Martin, Rocktron all make similar products.

There are a bunch of units like that for a lot less cash. They may not have all the features, but Voodoo Labs, Carl Martin, Rocktron all make similar products.

Thing is that neither of them have ALL those features, which is the Boss' big selling point for me.
There may be something out there, but I haven't heard of it yet. :wink:

Thing is I'm trying to minimize tap dancing and stage footprint as much as possible, and run quite an extensive setup. Aim is to control the pedals in the loops as well as amp channel switching and loading patches on 2 separate pieces of gear through midi (loopstation that is used for samples and a multifx unit).
At its worst as is, I've been operating 3 floor boards and an iPad as well as singing and playing guitar - the margin of error is TINY. :grin:

Will do a bit of searching, but so far I've found nothing that can do all of that at a better price.
Plenty of time though as the Boss won't be available over here for a while yet. :wink:

Having done a lot of googling the last few days I've now narrowed the candidates down. Obiviously the Cornish/Bradshaw and similar stuff is out of the question as that is ridiculously expensive.

Only ones I've found that can do what I need is the Boss, the GigRig G2 and the Providence PEC-2 (the Providence being a bit less expensive than the other 2, at about 500).
There's also the Moen FX GEC8 Live which is quite reasonably priced at about 400, but I really hated the layout and some of the routing stuff on that one, not to mention the one digit (!) display and batshit mental naming scheme.

Loads of good ones out there it seems, but most either lack outputs to do amp channel switching, midi or the ability to route some of the loops into the amps fx loop (which is bloody crucial). Odd how few switchers can actually do all of this really. :embarrassed:

With the capabilities it has I'm still leaning towards the Boss, although the other two clearly could do the job.

Back