What a Cool Concept

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/wabisabiegc.php
wabi_gc.jpg

"Wabi Sabi is a Japanese philosophy that embraces imperfection. Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, irregularity, simplicity, economy and appreciation of the organic nature of natural objects.

Our Wabi-sabi guitars are constructed with B grade tops - usually rejected for being aesthetically imperfect but sounding the same as A grade tops. This makes each guitar different and allows us to offer a solid top guitar at a laminate guitar price - all while making more complete use of our natural resources."

At $249 that is a cool idea. May be Luna #6.

I love that idea.

Sort of related, I read recently that ebony that isn't solid black used to be discarded. I saw some Breedlove guitars at the local shop that were made of "reject" ebony, back and sides. Beautiful layers of dark and light going the long way on the sides and back. The top was solid spruce. The guitar was kind of heavy, but sounded really good.

If it sounded and played right, I'd strap that on without hesitation.

I don't want a perfect guitar. Flaws are personality and character.

Not for me - I'm a picky motherfucker - but FWIW, I think that one's by far the most attractive Luna I've seen. I don't think it's close.

I love the idea of embracing the imperfection and turning it into something nice. I'd miss the phases of the moon fret markers, but this would certainly be more fitting in some more traditional venues and settings. I can imagine the looks I'd get at a bluegrass jam if I brought my Blue Eclipse. :hippie:

I love the idea. Hey, guitars end up a little imperfect as the years go on, anyway. I'm betting that with their honesty being so refreshing (some manufacturers are going with second line parts, etc., and prefer to try to keep it a secret), and the fact that they are passing along the cost savings, they are going to sell a bunch of these guitars. Good for them!

It's a PeeWee Herman, "I meant to do that" approach. You not only use the imperfect wood. you make it a part of the design. And, as Strat Guy states, they pass along the cost savings. Brilliant.

It's just a great company. All the folks are nice. I don't know why I don't own a Luna guitar.
I totally agree. I love their guitars, but their whole approach to business is great, Both Yvonne and Dennis have been good to me (not to mention the guitar and amo they donated to the forum a while back). They have a philosophy that resonates with mine and makes me proud to be connected with them.

That would make 6 Lunas, Gary? Is it almost time for an intervention?
Well, I am a Luna-tic.

Actually, that would make 7 Lunas. Now that Carol has settled on the synthesizer, she has turned the Trinity 3/4 size travel guitar over to me; I put it in DAGDAD tuning today and wrote a song with it. Carol had a pickup installed too, which will be nice if I use it for a gig.

Just saw this on facebook. Really cool idea. It's the imperfections that make the wood look interesting anyway.

Just an FYI, Taylor falls into this camp but with all of their guitars, not just one model.

They proudly use ebony that is not dyed but also isn't discarded for having streaks or fleks in them. I think it's awesome.... I have a little gold streak on the ebony fingerboard of my Taylor by the 12th fret, and the headstock plate has all kinds of cool things going on.

Back