Holding a pick

I don't really look at my picking hand when I play..... but I just noticed that my hand changes when I go to rhythmic strumming that my last three fingers go more outstretched for looseness and balance.

Alternate picking
alternatepicking.jpg

Strumming
strumming.jpg

Mine changes depending on the application, from traditional grip per above, to Morse-style to VH-style to no pick at all. Certain things demand specific ways to hit the strings, there's no single option that works for everything.

Interesting. A lot of you guys align the index in the direction of the pick.

I'm going to try that.

Interesting. A lot of you guys align the index in the direction of the pick.

I'm going to try that.

That came from my days of weedly weedly alternate picking. (I'm too athritic and slow to play that way nowdays) I figured out that the fastest way for me to pick was to "draw little circles" on the string. I know some people grip pencils very awkwardly between the thumb and a fist but most people grip the pencil tip with two or three fingers so the tip is articulate. Picking is the same way.

That came from my days of weedly weedly alternate picking. (I'm too athritic and slow to play that way nowdays) I figured out that the fastest way for me to pick was to "draw little circles" on the string. I know some people grip pencils very awkwardly between the thumb and a fist but most people grip the pencil tip with two or three fingers so the tip is articulate. Picking is the same way.

A good comparison with the pencil.

Which part?

Aligning index with pick direction instead of perpendicular to it.

I tried it and it does not feel as secure as perpendicular but the hand seems to rotate with less movement away from the strings when changing strings.

I'll have to try it for awhile to see if this is really what's happening.

I haven't been using picks much lately, but I know that I don't have a single consistent technique. I often don't think about and realize I'm doing something different or see a vid like the Morse one and try that new style for a bit (anywhere from minutes to weeks) and it may or may not become part of my arsenal of sound extraction techniques.

Another person with the index aligned with the pick direction.

Ok, what gives and why do you do that as opposed to Mark Wein and myself having the index going across the pick??
I just don't feel in control if the pick is too far from the edge of my thumb or index finger.
The pick rest somewhere between the side and the soft part of my index finger.
I feel like I should mention that I wouldn't say I settled on a specific picking position\technique or have
an adequate technique.

Back