The Holland wins the amp war.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I got both my Holland Lil Jimi and my 1971 Deluxe Reverb back from Kevin Nelson today and I played through them a bit for rehearsal tonight. The Holland is unbelievable. The Deluxe sounds killer too. I was thinking of selling it but its really too good to get rid of and it will probably end up being my low volume gig amp from now on.

10846031_10152994869512425_1741713060263408845_n.jpg

part of me wishes I had played through the Holland at Pragestock. My wallet is sure glad I didn't.

Reactions: Tig
I think it's cool that they are both back and that the war is over. As long as they both have a place in your arsenal, I'm sure they're happy.

BTW, nice video. Dig dem Blues!

Yeah....the Suhr is more of a Marshal thing and is great for the rock stuff but the Holland is giving me more of what I've been hearing in my head for my original stuff. It gets along nicely with the McFeely 454 and the pedals in my board too. Most of the night I just used the Xotic RC Booster and/or the Bogner Harlow Boost stacked together. It still played nicely with the Sparkle Drive MOD and the Pinnacle Deluxe too. The crunch pedals seem to be much smoother with this amp although I'm wondering if that is the Scumback speaker vs the Celelstion in the Suhr Badger.

Let's see how this works tonight. Suhr is here too if this isn't practical for this gig.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420261650.453133.jpg

I think it's going to be too loud. 50 watts and no master volume. We'll see in about 15 minutes. The club is practically empty tonight so we can't start very loud to begin with. I also forgot that the new speaker isn't really broken in yet either...it will be in a couple of hours :)

Actually sounds pretty good. It's has a bit more presence and cut than the Suhr. I think I really like the Scumback speaker especially. Here are the settings right now:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420268404.708702.jpg

See where the volume is? Now that we're getting into the second set I'm going to bump the volume a bit and turn my pedals down. Room is still pretty empty so I need to be careful about the volume though.

Did ya ever get a crowd? I've gigged the Friday after a New Years week and it's usually pretty dead.

Did ya ever get a crowd? I've gigged the Friday after a New Years week and it's usually pretty dead.
We did about halfway through the night. The first set was really empty and then it blew up. The problem is that Friday nights are our profit sharing night with the bar and it's usually a good night ($160-$200 a guy) and because it was Jan 2nd we only made $110 a guy. I was surprised we made that much to be honest. Playing the same room tonight for a flat fee....

Back