Is there any use for capos

BoomBoomBigelow

Genius of Love
other than allowing the moving of standard chord fingering to higher keys(?) for the purpose of accommodating various vocal/instrumental ranges?

A couple I use them for....

1) Certain keys (F, Bb, Eb) are a pain to play on an acoustic w/out a capo.

2) Using a capo allows the use of open strings and that allows more playing freedom and tonal possibilities in certain situations

3) Using a capo can allow some quick changes to alternate tunings without having to retune the guitar between a couple songs.

And I will note that while I do use a capo very occasionally on an electric, 90% of my usage is for acoustics.

A couple I use them for....

1) Certain keys (F, Bb, Eb) are a pain to play on an acoustic w/out a capo.

2) Using a capo allows the use of open strings and that allows more playing freedom and tonal possibilities in certain situations

3) Using a capo can allow some quick changes to alternate tunings without having to retune the guitar between a couple songs.

And I will note that while I do use a capo very occasionally on an electric, 90% of my usage is for acoustics.
1) I get.
2) I sorta get, as implied in the op.
3). I don't get. Elucidate, please.

As an acoustic, folk player, there are some chords that just don't sound as nice in an open chord, like Bflat. The capo allows me to play in a key that suits my voice but keeps me within open chords that sound good. For the most part, barre chords don't sound right for folk music to my ear.

Or maybe I'm just a lazy bastard. :rolleyes: :grin:

3). I don't get. Elucidate, please.

Example....capo on the second fret - but only cover the higher 5 frets and you have instant 'dropped E' tuning. Certain guitar players (David Wilcox, Phil Keaggy, others) will take a capo like a Kyser and cut out some of the rubber so that certain strings (say the A and G) are not affected by the capo).

Here's how I use it.

I'm in a band with two other guitar players (one's the vocals) and we play a lot of Social D. Social D tunes down to Eb, but also capos the 2nd fret (so, yeah, it's about the same as Capo 1). I usually tune down and Capo the 2nd fret so I can play open chords while the other guitar players play power chords.

Outside what has been listed which how I also use a capo, you can standard tune down a whole step and play some songs in standard D and capo on on the second fret for standard tuning. Advantage, one guitar.

The thing i use my capo for the most often is to hold strings in place while I'm restringing a Bigsby.

I capo at the first fret quite often because the open strings ringing off of a fret have a different sound than ringing at the nut.

Also, quite often I'm moving chords around the neck and I want a certain open string resonating and it's not always the normal EADGBE but maybe I want that low G, C, or a high F# so I capo at the third.

If I want that mandolin or uke sound, I'll capo at the 5th or 7th frets.

Last edited:
Example....capo on the second fret - but only cover the higher 5 frets and you have instant 'dropped E' tuning. Certain guitar players (David Wilcox, Phil Keaggy, others) will take a capo like a Kyser and cut out some of the rubber so that certain strings (say the A and G) are not affected by the capo).

Yep, cut capos open up even more possibilities. My favorite example:

Also, I like to have an acoustic tuned to open D for slide, with a fairly high action. Slap a capo on the 2nd fret and I can play Little Martha in open E with a nice low action.

aha.

I capo at the first fret quite often because the open strings ringing off of a fret have a different sound than ringing at the nut.

Also, quite often I'm moving chords around the neck and I want a certain open string resonating and it's not always the normal EADGBE but maybe I want that low G, C, or a high F# so I capo at the third.

If I want that mandolin or uke sound, I'll capo at the 5th or 7th frets.
aha.

Is there any use for capos

Might come in handy if you find yourself without a roach clip....

tumblr_m1o2vtd0MP1qchnreo1_500.jpg

Back