Why are rotary simulator pedals always so expensive?

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
Played a Tech 21 Roto Choir today. It sounded good, but I'm not sure it was $200 good. And as far as rotary sims (not univibes) it's on the cheaper end. Seems like anything "good" is always $200 - $500. That's kinda insane.

I think its a difficult thing to get right. I love the one in my Mobius, but thats a $400 pedal.

My 80's Arion SCH-1 was also killer too. At least with the Mobius I'm getting 3 other sounds that I use every show so it's like I've got $100 invested in the rotary sound :)

I enjoy my Rotovibe and my Soul Vibe. They get the job done playing music in gig situations.

I think its a difficult thing to get right. I love the one in my Mobius, but thats a $400 pedal.

My 80's Arion SCH-1 was also killer too. At least with the Mobius I'm getting 3 other sounds that I use every show so it's like I've got $100 invested in the rotary sound :)

For me, the frustrating thing about rotary pedals is the lack of mix knob. But then I say that about all modulation effects that only have speed and depth. Maybe I'll move my Quasar post-delay and see what happens.

For me, the frustrating thing about rotary pedals is the lack of mix knob. But then I say that about all modulation effects that only have speed and depth. Maybe I'll move my Quasar post-delay and see what happens.
That never bothers me because it I was a rotary sound, I WANT a rotary sound :grin:

I am guessing the price point is because they probably only sell a handful of those pedals as opposed to the numbers of dirt/delay pedals that sell.

I have an original Rotovibe at work. It didn't really sound right to me. Mine is so beat up that its almost unsellable.

I have an original Rotovibe at work. It didn't really sound right to me. Mine is so beat up that its almost unsellable.

It's more Univibe than Leslie sim, and not a great one at that. But it has its own sound and that can be cool. It's just not what I'm looking for (not that you were offering).

It's more Univibe than Leslie sim, and not a great one at that. But it has its own sound and that can be cool. It's just not what I'm looking for (not that you were offering).
I have never offered it for sale because while it works it looks like it spent its life being dragged behind whatever I as driving to the gig for the years I used it.

I changed where the Quasar was in my signal chain, putting it post-dirt. Didn't like it. But, I did get about as close to a leslie sim as a phase pedal can get by backing off the mix and depth, running the voice at noon, and keeping the frequency down. Wave is standard sine. So whatever. It's back out front where it belongs and I saved myself $200 - $500.

Back