Looks like we're going Paleo

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
The boy has a milk protein allergy. Which means the wife can't have any dairy for at least 4 months. Can't even have butter in baked goods. This will be interesting.

My condolences... Is the kid still under warranty?

Apparently, this is an "as-is" scenario.

It's not going to affect me much. I can always buy lunch and eat whatever I want in restaurants. The only thing I'm really giving up is her baking. She's going to have the bulk of the problem. Fortunately, my sister is paleo and is an excellent cook and baker. So she'll help.

Hpopefully it'll be something he'll grow out of? My daughter had something similar and in the beginning they made it sound like she would end up having this horrible life but it is so minor that we don't even remember she has the condition until we go for our now yearly appointment at Children's Hospital OC. The first year we had all kinds of dietary restrictions and experiemnts though.

Prepare yourself for crisis after crisis, each lasting 3-6 weeks, and vanishing from memory just about as soon as it passes. It's just what modern parenting is these days.

Prepare yourself for crisis after crisis, each lasting 3-6 weeks, and vanishing from memory just about as soon as it passes. It's just what modern parenting is these days.

Gastro issues run pretty strong in our family. This is no surprise. That said, I'm not happy with the pediatrician's bedside manner, and he'll be getting a phone call from me tomorrow morning.

Much mojo. Considering how alarmist the docs were during my wife's pregnancy, I'm bracing for all the doomsday scenarios we're going to be presented in the future.

Hopefully it turns out to be an easy accommodation.

Much mojo. Considering how alarmist the docs were during my wife's pregnancy, I'm bracing for all the doomsday scenarios we're going to be presented in the future.

Even the smallest thing is an emergency and everything has to be changed immediately. It's fucking stupid. And because of it, I expect to use my vacation time next year on doctor's appointments so I can find out exactly what the issue is. I want definitions and medical terminology I can look up.

There is so much CYA in medicine these days I am surprised anyone still wants to be in that field.

Mojo. Hopefully this is not a long term issue. Great that your Sis can help out on the recipe end of things.

Mojo

My son has severe allergies to peanuts and eggs. Two ambulance rides to the ER under his belt and I had to use the epipen on him once.

At home it's very easy to control what he can and can't eat. Introducing new foods can be stressful...ok he ate it, let's see if his head turns into a raspberry.

Going out to visit folks or to a restaurant requires constant vigilance.

You get used to it but it's just one more level of alarm that you have to constantly keep in the forefront of your mind.

I eat a lot of eggs, but now I handle them like they're nuclear waste. And damn I miss peanut butter!

Fortunately, more and more people are aware of and mindful of food allergies. Hopefully someday soon, someone will discover why the incidence of food allergies has gone up so much. There are several plausible theories out there now, which is a step in the right direction.

Just have your wife mix in a little lactaid in her breast milk :grin:

My oldest daughter has a little dairy allergy. Mostly she can't drink regular milk but is fine with butter and cheese.

We were lucky in that none of our kids have any allergies. That is not the norm theses days. There is definitely something up because when I was a kid almost none of the people I knew had allergies aside from the pollen stuff that has been around forever.

Just have your wife mix in a little lactaid in her breast milk :grin:

My oldest daughter has a little dairy allergy. Mostly she can't drink regular milk but is fine with butter and cheese.
It's a protein allergy, not a lactose allergy. I'm lactose intolerant. I deal with it by crop dusting my way through the office.

Back