ANyone have any experience with a Vox AC15VR?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15VR

I'm trying to find a good amp for a students wife to buy him for Christmas that fits in her $300-$500 price range. I'd rather it not be full of shitty modeling like my Fender Mustang 1. I also won't suggest any Line 6 or Bugera. This is a student who is just getting rolling playing classic rock tunes and needs a decent clean sound more than mega crunch...I was also thinking about an AC4 too but thought that he might not get as clean of a sound as he might want: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC4TV

I don't have much experience with these amps but I feel like Vox is probably making better stuff at this price point than Fender.

Nope...

But the SuperChampX2 and the Ibanez TSA15 are both killer amps in that price range...

I've tried @baimun's Superchamp at P-Stock last year and was not particularly impressed. I haven't gotten to try the Ibanez though.

I might also suggest the less expensive Valvetronix VT40 or VT20 -- for $300 she could get the amp AND the oh-so-useful VFS5 footswitch. I had the predecessor model (VT-30) and it was a REALLY versatile, useful amp that I wish I'd never sold. The sheer number of useful tones in there is amazing, and with the footswitch it's fast and easy to turn effects on and off, switch channels, etc.

Big enough to jam with or just a small practice amp?

The AC is probably your best bet, if you're going valve. Peavey Bandit would work if you need a larger amp with a great clean, but he'd definitely need to get some pedals for anything past "acceptable" crunch.

He won't be playing with anyone anytime soon or if he does it'll probably be just with another guitar player. I'm thinking nice bedroom amp that he could bring to a low volume jam if needed. And not too complicated with the modeling shit.

It's unlikely, but a used Tiny Terror with a small cab would be perfect. If he was more into metal a Blackstar would fit the bill.

Too bad the Vox AC15 C1TV runs twice the price of the VR. That's the good 'un.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15C1TT

I've tried @baimun's Superchamp at P-Stock last year and was not particularly impressed. I haven't gotten to try the Ibanez though.

The earlier SC XD with a 10" speaker was just so-so. The more recent SC X2 head with a 1x12 cab is really nice. I'd avoid the X2 1x10 combo, though.
I've tweaked and updated the patches on my X2, so YMMV from one to the next.

:Wave:

I just saw this thread, and was going to suggest it, myself.

From what Mark was saying, the student in question is going to play more clean than dirty. What's nice about this amp is that it will stay pretty clean up to a decently, but not deafeningly loud level before it starts breaking up. FWIW, I love it for a home amp - plenty of clean; plenty of grit - just depends how you dial it in. It also may be enough for practice with a not-too-loud band. The controls are simple, yet LOTS of tone variety to be had.

Again, the 12" speaker and larger cab make all the difference in the world over the AC4C1 10" version, and with the various discounts thrown around, this amp can be had under $300 - a few minutes on the phone will take care of that :thu:.

Honestly, for the price you pay, there really isn't a comparable tube amp that can beat spec-for-spec IMO.

OK, but having said that, for maybe a little more headroom and less grit before cranking it, the Fender Excelsior Pro is another great bang for the buck. What's left of them new should be gettable for 350.

Back