Damn-tennis elbow

Packerbacker

Grandpa Whine
My left elbow hurts a lot,especially when I pick something up or curl my arm. Been hurting for months. Finally went to the doctor-said I was masterbating too much,I mean,it was tennis elbow. Told me to lay off the guitar totally for a while or at least dramatically reduce playing time. This totally sucks as I'm finally seeing some advances in my playing. Anyone else had this?

He said I can go all out with heating pads,ice,wearing my brace,and not doing anything that irritates it and it will go away eventually. Cheat and it will drag on and on and on.

Yeah, I went in for a checkup a couple of weeks back and the doc said she did hear popping, and that I should just use a heating pad. But some of the simplest tasks like opening a door or picking up a log for the fire are excruciating.

Oh yes. The last straw was when I couldn't pick up a carton of eggs without it hurting to bad. It's been nagging me for months but it's gotten real bad lately. I tell ya-mid 40's and I'm falling apart rapidly.

I've had it off and on for many years. Sometimes it lasts for weeks, sometimes it lasts for months.

I have had mixed results with steroid injections. If the needle doesn't hit in precisely the right spot, it does no good at all.

Best to just rest it for a while.

Steroid injection is next step if it doesn't improve. Bummer it didn't work for you. I've had them in my hip and heel and worked wonderful. I'm going to use the reduced playing time to do real focused practice instead of random playing and work on theory.

Heat will make it feel better, but does nothing to heal it. Ice does that.

Buy one of these theraband things (I bought the heaviest) and do this:

Your tennis elbow will be gone in days.

Ice, and the Tyler Twist was the *only* thing that helped my tennis elbow.

Try this, it works for me.
Pennsaid.jpg

It's dimethyl sulfoxide and it helps with the inflammation that causes the pain. Might be worth a try.

Hang in there and definitely devote some focus on rehabilitation.

I've been dealing with over a year's worth of stupid physical conditions in my hands, arms and shoulders that have sidelined my playing. Wound up completely revamping my workspace ergos & have dumped an absurd amount time and money into physical therapy/rehab. The thing I find discouraging is that it doesn't take much to wipe out progress and wind up back at square one....but, unfortunately I'm too stubborn to pay people to do things I'm capable of.

Heat will make it feel better, but does nothing to heal it. Ice does that.

Buy one of these theraband things (I bought the heaviest) and do this:

Your tennis elbow will be gone in days.

Ice, and the Tyler Twist was the *only* thing that helped my tennis elbow.

I agree with this though maybe not specifically that device. If you have chronic tendonitis it can leave scar tissue that is the source of the pain. The only way to get rid of the pain is to breakdown that scar tissue. If after a couple of weeks of resting there isn't much change then you're going to need to go through some rehab to break down that tissue so that the pain will go away..

oh and it's really easy to have a recurrence too :(

I've been playing in little spurts-just about 10 to 15 minutes at a time. I didn't realize I was manhandling the fretboard. I eased up on my pressure and the pain is substantially less and I can still play.

I agree with this though maybe not specifically that device. If you have chronic tendonitis it can leave scar tissue that is the source of the pain. The only way to get rid of the pain is to breakdown that scar tissue. If after a couple of weeks of resting there isn't much change then you're going to need to go through some rehab to break down that tissue so that the pain will go away..

oh and it's really easy to have a recurrence too :(

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention massage the spot that hurts several times a day. Really dig in with your finger, and get the blood flowing to the tendon.

Back