Who is the 'draw' in your band?

Scott Powell

Blackmore Wannabe
I play in two bands and in both the Singer is the draw. In one the singer is a young single guy and has a fantastic personality that translates into Charisma . In the second band the singer is young,female and puts on a good show .She was a Theater Major and has acting experience that carries over very well onstage.

Both bands are made up of veteran musicians,and there is great chemistry and low/no drama between the band members and that gives the singer a very comfortable couch to sit on. Neither singer pulls the Diva role,and we all realize that the sum of the parts is what keeps us booked. I am GLAD to have two strong fronts, IMO it gives each band a central focus for the audience

I had a couple of people tell me last nite they always come to see us due to how much fun the band has and how well we play off each other,so that was pretty cool!

Last edited:
The draw in my bands has always been the singer. Even when I was 20 playing in a band of 40-50-year-olds people would compliment me and ask about me, but it was the singer who made the show.

After thinking about this for awhile, it all depends on the type of music being played.

The most common has always been the singer as they are the voice of the band and usually the most outspoken member of the band. Many times the lead singer is usually talking to the audience members during the breaks as well as after the show is over. My old Heart tribute tribute is a good example. Many of the lead singer's friends would come to see the band but they mainly came to see her sing. I subbed for a CCR tribute a few weeks ago and the singer was intouch with the audience. Pulled audience members to the dance floor and kept it busy. So many times were just vamping or playing a guitar while he did his magic. It was a great time for the audience and us.

In other situations where the band had multiple singers, it was mixed. Many would come because a friend was in the band but as artists, we always want to grab the unknown people who happen to be at the venue and experience the band for the first time. These are the people everyone is trying to grab as they came not as a friend. My sit in gig with Sideway Down was a great example of this. Regulars at the restaurant have become fans of the band since we kept the music going and they had a great time.

What has been cool are the meetup groups that I belong too. It is a nice way to network and many of the players support each other when they are playing gigs. Some may attend all the time to someone's gig and/or some will just go to a show or two like myself.

I'd like to say the main singer in ours because he has a fantastic voice, but he has about zero stage presence and is not very good at working a crowd. That has been the biggest issue with the band - we need more energy from the stage are a true front man. I honestly believe that a good singer with stage presence is better than a fantastic singer who just stands there. I am the only person in our band who moves much at all when we have the stage space to move.

The penis pump I wear the entire show, half-drawn and my member throbbing and aching. That's what the people pay to see!

Reactions: wok
It would seem to me if you were doing it right it should be the song.

Or maybe I'm watching too much Dave Grohl on that Sonic Highway thing.

That is why gigging bands fail and break apart. They forget that it is the audience they are playing to. When they forget that, it is best that they remain in the rehearsal studio as that is who they will playing for.

That is why gigging bands fail and break apart. They forget that it is the audience they are playing to. When they forget that, it is best that they remain in the rehearsal studio as that is who they will playing for.

I have no idea what I'm talking about but this makes sense to me.

This is what I know. When I go watch a band I can generally tell when they are into the music and playing it like they love to play. I can also tell when they are not. I can't say I ever go to see a band specifically for a singer or player, other than Brad Paisley. I go for the songs.

I have no idea what I'm talking about but this makes sense to me.

This is what I know. When I go watch a band I can generally tell when they are into the music and playing it like they love to play. I can also tell when they are not. I can't say I ever go to see a band specifically for a singer or player, other than Brad Paisley. I go for the songs.

As an audience member we go to see who we want. Some look for certain songs, the musicians look at how does he do that and then you have the partiers who just say - let's have fun. What cracks me up sometimes are when artists play the same solo on the album as in the live show. This is pretty much what most people want to see. They will close their eyes and pretend that they are into it but are just playing recycled lines they did on the record. Now take Paisley or B.B. King as an example, there are not recycled lines except for signature runs but there is a lot of improvisation - now that I truly love. We went to the Brian Setzer Orchestra 3 years in a row - first year was cool, even had Slim Jim Phantom when the trio played. Second year was Ossum and sadly 3rd year was meh - Why? All three years were the same show, same guitar solos, etc.

I cant give the male singer Josh enough credit at picking tunes that the audience relates to,responds to and will request at each show. His showmanship,Charisma and the songlist he chooses are HUGE reasons in why we stay booked. He is kind enough to suggest songs for my female fronted band as well,and his picks always work

Back