Question for Mark and other teachers

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
I don't have any gigs lined up soon so I was thinking about taking lessons. I've had very few lessons in my life. I'm mostly self taught, and poorly at that.

I have no specific goals. We could spend a couple of months working on Rock n' Roll 101 and breaking down T-Bone Walker or Chuck Berry and I'd be happy. Or would could focus on a ton of theory. Or we could spend a month fixing my picking technique. I don't have any specific goals, so I don't really know what I want aside from the obvious: I'd like to get better.

So if I'm walking in cold and trying to get on the path, what's the best way to get the most value for my money? Should I rely on a teacher to listen to me play for a bit and then set up lessons based on that? Should I really think harder about specific goals before I start taking lessons? Advice, recommendations, dos & don'ts, etc. are all welcome.

What do you want to do? Work on a specific element of your playing that is lacking or expand into something new? I Would figure that out and set some goals....

Come up with a goal anyway. Make a list of potential 5 ones, or 50, and just pick a couple and just go with it.

Here's the Zen of it: I don't know what I don't know.

I think you're both answering my real question: Do I need to have something specific that I want to work on? And the answer seems to be yes.

Yes. If you want to get the most out of it, then yeah; you need to have goals. If you don't goals, then you won't be achieving them, you won't get a sense of reward or accomplishment, you'll lack the inspiration, you'll be going in circles, etc.. So. It's better that way. Better for you, better for the process of finding the right instructor, and better for the instructor.

And what you don't know is, simply put, what you can't do.

So listen to a bunch of guitar music and find some stuff that you'd like to play but can't.

As everyone mentioned goals.

If you can't think of one, what is the thing that urks you about your guitar playing. Can't say it sucks for example.

Things like: I don't like my right hand picking. I don't know my chords/scales. I don't know theory. While it sounds negative at first, you can change the negative to a positive by changing the structure of the statement.

I would like to improve on my right hand picking. I know some chords/scales but would like to know more about chords/scales. I want to know about theory and what it can do for me.

Try that approach @dmn23

I just made the call. I start next Thursday!

Remember to go in with of things you would like to work on. The worst thing that can happen is the instructor teaches you what he wants to teach you vs. what you want out of the lessons.

I am taking lessons for the first time as well. My first lesson (which is free) is next Tuesday. I plan on spending some time over the weekend to list out my primary goals. I sort of know what they are now, but I figure if I jot them down I may get a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

I am thinking that having a much more accomplished player than myself monitoring my progess will help me focus on a practice routine.

I would go into a new teacher and play some stuff for him or her and ask them to comment on what they feel needs work in your playing. Getting an outside opinion from a more advanced player can be hugely beneficial. Or perhaps post a sample of your playing here and let us rip you to shreds : ) (aka give constructive criticisms). Often times what you need can be completely obvious to an educated listener.

Thinking you know too little can be overwhelming when it comes to fixing it. Pick one or two things to work on, initially. That might lead to clearer goals down the road. Either way, good luck with it!

Thinking you know too little can be overwhelming when it comes to fixing it. Pick one or two things to work on, initially. That might lead to clearer goals down the road. Either way, good luck with it!

Yeah, learning an instrument is like doing a massive crossword puzzle. Filling in one square makes filling the adjoining ones that much easier. But sometimes you fill in the wrong word and it fucks up everything.

Back