Who else is crazy about chorizo?

I love it. I got a taste for it when lived in the Basque Country for four years. Chorizo heaven.

You do know that Chorizo (at least the Mexican variety) is made of salivary glands and lymph nodes mixed with pork fat, right?

I rather prefer this when I make breakfast burritos:

images

You do know that Chorizo (at least the Mexican variety) is made of salivary glands and lymph nodes mixed with pork fat, right?

images

I don't think I ever had the Mexican version. The Spanish version :

Spanish chorizo is made from coarsely chopped pork and pork fat, seasoned with smoked pimentón (paprika) and salt. It is generally classed as either picante (spicy) or dulce (sweet), depending upon the type of smoked paprika used. Hundreds of regional varieties of Spanish chorizo, both smoked and unsmoked, may contain garlic, herbs, and other ingredients.[3] For example, Pamplona-style chorizo is a thicker sausage with the meat more finely ground. Among the varieties is chorizo Riojano from the La Rioja region; and has PGI protection within the EU.

Chorizo is made in short or long and hard or soft varieties; the leaner varieties are suited to being eaten at room temperature as an appetizer or tapas, whereas the fattier versions are generally used for cooking.[4] A general rule of thumb is that long, thin chorizos are sweet, and short chorizos are spicy, although this is not always the case.[5]

images
I can't remember which brand I had last week, but my wife brought home some soy chorizo, and it was spot on.

I can't remember which brand I had last week, but my wife brought home some soy chorizo, and it was spot on.

Yeah -- soyrizo is one of the few soy products that actually do a good job of pretending to be something else. I think it's probably because the texture of regular (Mexican -- big difference!) chorizo is less like a sausage than a slurry contained in a sausage casing. When you open up the soyrizo casing and mix it with your eggs, potatoes, etc. the texture and seasoning are so close to the real thing that I've made it for folks without telling them it was soy and they never knew...

Back