Best anniversary present EVAR! Wife bought tickets for Austin F1

I'm in Texas. I'm going to head up to the track this morning and see if I can poke around a bit, then maybe find a good beer and bbq joint

I'm in Texas. I'm going to head up to the track this morning and see if I can poke around a bit, then maybe find a good beer and bbq joint

images
Welcome to Far West Florida!

I've been to a few of these but forgot what was which when it comes to what I liked:
http://www.fedmanwalking.com/content/austins-top-10-bbq

And, I'm up at 6 to make the trek to the track. Today is another F1 practice and F1 qualifying, plus qualifying and finals for some of the support races. Should be a very full day. I scoped out a lot of the track to get some good places to get pictures, so hopefully today I will get some better pics.

Rosberg's last qualifying lap was a scortcher!

It really was. The whole place was astounded when they read his time.

Funny trivia fact, the guy from the NBC show 'Shark Tank', Robert herjovec races in the Ferrari Challenge series for fun. He placed second in the 'gentleman driver' class.

I've took a ton of pics, bit they are still on the camera and I am on vacation. I should get some hinges stuff up by te end of the week.

How did the cars sound? They sound like crap on TV, but I'm curious as to what you thought hearing them in person.

They sound like crap in person too. All the cars but ferrari engined cars made a sound best described as a wet farting sound when the drivers let up on the gas and the pressure went out the blow off valve. It was awful. The ferrari a sounded like a kid taking saxophone lessons with a multi note tooting noise. Fwiw, you could carry on a normal conversation when the cars drove by. The Porsche gt3 support race sounded more like real race cars than the f1. So, in a nutshell, it is as bad as you may have heard it is, and maybe worse. The complaints all over the web are justified. The racing was still good, so for me it wasn't an event killer.

I saw the race on TV, and it was a very good race, very much like the race there in 2012. COTA is a very well designed track. I never thought that there would be much overtaking in the Esses, but every year someone grows some big ones and goes for it there, which really adds to the excitement.

The thing that amazed me was how much uphill and downhill parts tHere are on that track. It looks flat on tv, except for turn 1, bit even the esses have a small hill in the middle. From turn 6 to 11, it is all BIG hills. I walked them.

It was a pretty fun race to watch even though Mercedes still is running away with things. Vettel is still a good driver to make the charges he did and the battle between Alonso and Button was great racing

One day I'll go...I hope.

Back