another coffee thread:

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I recently bought one of those Bialetti stovetop coffee brewers. Mine is a 6-cup one, which means it makes one 8 oz. cup of coffee.

I liked the coffee that came out of it, but my grinder (a cheap Hamilton Beach) can't grind coarse enough for it, meaning I'm always ending up with some coffee grounds in the bottom of the cup.

Last winter I bought a cheap pour-over thingy, one where you just add a paper filter, add the coffee grounds and pour hot water into it and let it drip into the cup. Never cared for the coffee made that way, it was always way too weak and took a long time if you did it the 'right' way.

Anyways....I just came up with the idea of brewing the coffee with the Bialetti, then using the pour over thingy w/filter (pre-wetted) to catch any of the grounds the Bialetti brewed into the coffee. Wow, best-tasting cup of coffee I've ever made at home :) :thu:

Mine is a 6-cup one, which means it makes one 8 oz. cup of coffee.

Ooooohhh kaaaaayyyyy..... :embarrassed:

I'm not familiar with that brewing method... I like a simple pour as much as anything... But if you have found the method you like, go with it.

Now I want coffee. But it's almost bedtime.

Ooooohhh kaaaaayyyyy..... :embarrassed:

I'm not familiar with that brewing method... I like a simple pour as much as anything... But if you have found the method you like, go with it.

Now I want coffee. But it's almost bedtime.

European 'cups' of coffee are very small, for whatever reason idn_smilie

Filling the reservoir up to the line on this Bialetti makes 8 oz. of coffee, just perfect for us Americans :)

European 'cups' of coffee are very small, for whatever reason idn_smilie

Filling the reservoir up to the line on this Bialetti makes 8 oz. of coffee, just perfect for us Americans :)

quality over quantity :cop:

I haven't really been thrilled with French Pressing (although I still use it sometimes). You have to keep your grind pretty coarse for it to work right.

What's really funny about this is how things have come full circle. At one time, coffee was percolate on the stove. Then there was this newfangled electric percolator. Then came the Mr. Coffee drip filtered system, and a dream cup was had by all! Of course, that took too long, so single cup brewers became the rage, including the Kerig system of today (love mine, even though it's a more expensive cup of coffee. How awesome it would be to go back to stovetop!

Last edited:
I don't mind regular drip. For single cups, I like my aeropress, but I'm still tweaking my procedure. Seems to me the brew time in all of the best "recipes" are too long and make my coffee bitter.

I haven't really been thrilled with French Pressing (although I still use it sometimes). You have to keep your grind pretty coarse for it to work right.

Me neither. Every once in a while I'll do a brew with the press pot and I'm always disappointed with how 'muddy' the flavor is and how much of the vibrancy of the cup is lost. I've got a burr grinder that does an acceptable coarse grind & a replacement very-fine mesh screen. But it is prb more that my usual Central & South American or African beans that aren't roasted much past full city just aren't well suited to the press pot.

French press is all about the even grind. I don't use mine right now because i have a shitty blade grinder.

I won't even have a grinder....no counter space to keep it on. I'll have to use the grinder in the store. At least those have a selector switch on how fine you want it ground.

You could always make a cold brew coffee concentrate with a French press, make a ton of it, keep it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, and just add hot water to the concentrate.

I have one of those stovetop espresso makers as well -- I usually just wait a couple of minutes and any grounds settle to the bottom of the cup. Anyway -- it's far less gritty than what you get served at a Turkish coffee shop!

Back