Scratch Build: Cedar / Mahogany Acoustic

Thanks!
As I'm learning the finer points of acoustic guitar building, I'm told that getting the fundamental frequency of the top down to 200 hz or so, is a very good place to be. I'm hoping to massage it down closer to that number as I go. Such a cool world of details I was completely unaware of until recently. Keeps me off the streets! LOL

I'm really curious, how do you measure the frequency of the guitar? I can see from the plot it is run through a spectrum analyzer. How did you record the frequency response?

FINALLY remembered to check this thread from home so that I could see the pics. My word, it's beautiful (so far of course--not that I'm expecting that to change).

MikeT, we're using a microphone and a trigger in the computer program to capture the sound when I lightly tap the top with a velvet pad hammer. I did some sanding around the edges of the top and brought the mid-range up even more. Right now it looks like a very smooth transition through the frequencies. I have a new bridge design I call the "corduroy bridge" that will hopefully keep the frequencies intact when it's glued down.

Here's a couple new photos.

Centering the peg head taper to the neck. Tricky business!
PegheadTaperCenteringlo-res_zps3f2fb797.jpg

Here's a shot showing the peg head veneer in place and the neck setting in the slot.
OMBuild11-2-2014lo-res_zps574c5044.jpg

Can't wait to play it!!!

Thanks guys! Playing an electric guitar you built yourself is one thing. But an acoustic is a whole different vibe!

You can get those rulers at www.chruler.com

All my friends use them for guitar work because it's a nice, small stainless steel "center finding" ruler. Most center finding rulers are much longer and more difficult to use on guitars.

Found!

http://www.chruler.com/

My father was super handy with tools and working with wood. I spent hours with him in the shop (retained very little though) but never heard him use that particular measure. In chemistry class, we discovered the yea big unit.

I fretted the neck last week and shaped it the previous week. Taking this weekend off.
Getting anxious and just wanting to finish it. It's been going on for a long time now.
Did a video for the ruler too, LOL!

articulatingclamp_zps1ebb59da.jpg

articulatingclamp1_zpsbbe44b90.jpg

Back