Small apartment tips.....

I don't know the square footage of my college apartment, but it was tiny.

I had about a 12x12 living room with a wardrobe, sofa-bed, and TV, a bathroom big enough for a toilet, sink, and bathtub, and a kitchen that was maybe 6' wide and 12' long. No closets.

Mrs. P and I both lived there for about a year until we got an apartment that had a separate living room and bedroom (probably double the square footage).

Sometimes I actually miss the days when I had to climb over the sofa-bed to get from the kitchen to the bathroom.

Not often, but sometimes.

Mate had a really small combined kitchen dining room. Made a lot of space for when not eating by making a table that hinged on the wall and folded up when not needed.

Two words: MARSHALL STACK !!!!!!!

marshall-fridge.jpg

Make friends with your neighbors. Let 'em know you won't bitch about noise if they won't. It's worked for me a few times. They didn't complain about my guitars (I was below, they were above) and I didn't complain about her very loud sexual romps :grin:

Mate had a really small combined kitchen dining room. Made a lot of space for when not eating by making a table that hinged on the wall and folded up when not needed.

Ikea actually has a table I want that folds up to about 6" wide - but it is out of the budget right now. I might get one later.

My apartment in Denver was like that, except he bathroom and dining room were switched. In any of the houses or apartments I've lived in, I haven't used the dining room more than a handful of time. I like the idea of a computer and jam cave, and if you want to beaten it up a bit, just put up a folding screen or a Pulldown divider.

Also a couple things, since i have lived in small apartments a lot . . .

Back in Cali i turned the whole living room into my music room, since i rarely entertained anybody. I just had my TV in the bedroom.

I always choose the ground floor, since amps would probably make noise through the floor. And I don't want to hustle groceries up stairs either. :embarrassed:

I play my MicroCube and even my Mustang III all the time. I keep it at reasonable volumes, and reasonable hours, and have never had a complaint. Even have had a thumbs up from a few neighbors.

Also a couple things, since i have lived in small apartments a lot . . .

Back in Cali i turned the whole living room into my music room, since i rarely entertained anybody. I just had my TV in the bedroom.

I always choose the ground floor, since amps would probably make noise through the floor. And I don't want to hustle groceries up stairs either. :embarrassed:

I play my MicroCube and even my Mustang III all the time. I keep it at reasonable volumes, and reasonable hours, and have never had a complaint. Even have had a thumbs up from a few neighbors.

Yeah....I have a first floor apartment! I can't see doing much entertaining other than #1 daughter coming over occasionally or if one of my sons visits town. Mrs D won't come over and in the current situation there will not be other women around. I don't even have a TV right now. Once I get in the place I'll see how what I have works with the music equipment. I have a very small bass amp that might work as a practice amp....

A lady gets to the check stand at a grocery store. She places a pint of milk, a can of soup, a small pack of crackers and a tiny pizza on the belt.
The checker starts ringing her up and says "Single, huh?"
She says "How could you tell, because I'm buying all single serving items?"
He says "No, because you're so fucking ugly".

This guy would give his left nut for 500 square feet. Mainly because he only has room for his right nut.
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Reactions: Tig
I lived in a studio apartment for 4 years that makes your new place look like a palace.

To me, the key isn't buying more stuff to organize, it's eliminating stuff in the first place.

Not having much stuff going in is actually an advantage since as you accumulate necessities, you can purchase things that make sense for your space. w/r/t the day to day, I always found that being 'tidy' on a regular basis was necessary. Leaving stuff around in a small space has a more drastic impact than in more spacious environments.

I prefer bedroom with the music area. When you don't have a girl over, it is nice to fall asleep with a guitar in your arms. If Hendrix and SRV did it, why not me too?.

Nice thought, but since the same floor plan is above and below him, it's that much more likely that even if he was plying at a really really low volume, the proximity to another bedroom would have a neighbor complaining.

If it's midnight and someone hears some music through their dining room floor, they're less likely to complain. :helper:

Back