FU Chet Atkins!

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
so I spent like 2 hours last night trying to figure out
that earworm Esurance commercial song by Chet Atkins (Jam Man)

I did this by ear, but then after I tabbed it out I listened to it and its all wrong thwap0
the picking pattern is off and he throws a weirdo C chord instead of the G...

anywho here is the wrong version which still works as a travis-style
alternate bassline song if you want to learn it, its a good primer
on this style if youve never done it. Its difficult at first
kind of like doing math on guitar but once you get the hang of it it
flows easily and you can go off and the sky is the limit (see: danny gatton)

Ill post the corrected version later

circled notes in green should be picked with a pick,
the rest with your fingers (hybrid picking)

(bar 1 repeat, bar 2 play once, bar 2 repeat, bar 3)

Either way this is sweet!!!

Keep it up. I just started to really listen to Chet and need to sit down to work on his playing style. It will be a bear.

@baimun @eloydrummerboy - I remember my first bear!

ok i got no replies so i never did the proper version.
I know it now and will do it tomorrow.
Its really a good song, and great style to learn

its like switching gears when playing this style-its very different than what youre used to.

but I think learning things like this, even if you wont use them strengthens your own playing in many ways.

and even though its hard at first, it gets easy, and once it clicks you can go off into some crazy shit (ala D gatton)

Bryan Setzer gets his unique style by combining travis style (like this), with chicken-picken'
blues, jazz, and rock ala chuck berry...

ok i got no replies so i never did the proper version.
I know it now and will do it tomorrow.
Its really a good song, and great style to learn

its like switching gears when playing this style-its very different than what youre used to.

but I think learning things like this, even if you wont use them strengthens your own playing in many ways.

and even though its hard at first, it gets easy, and once it clicks you can go off into some crazy shit (ala D gatton)

Bryan Setzer gets his unique style by combining travis style (like this), with chicken-picken'
blues, jazz, and rock ala chuck berry...

Agree with you on that. I find Chet's stuff more difficult for me because it is new. As always new material is always difficult until you master the concepts. As for DG, I have been a fan for years and have been lucky to see him play twice live. Having a copy of Austin City Limits (friend recorded it on VHS back when) helped and now with You Tube, made understanding his playing much simpler. This has allowed me to cop some of DG's stuff that I currently use.

Lately I have been on a Paisley streak along with Red Volkaert. And just recently found started to listen to Chet because of my heavy interest in old country.

Back