One honeymoon over; another ready to begin

CBHScott

How did I get here?
So, I had just gotten a Baja Tele a couple of weeks ago, and even though I have come to find that it seems to be lacking on its' own merit, I had been also playing it through the Quilter since getting it, and it just wasn't wowing me. Couldn't really put my finger on it, but it just lacked...balls, for lack of a better word. The LPJ sounded OK, though.

Well, then I had a thought: "Hmmm, it really couldn't be the Quilter, could it?". For the first time since coming back from P-Stock, I fired up the Classic 30, and plugged in the Tele.

The balls were back :).

And :(.

Then I plugged in the LP.

Yup :).

And :(.

I reallly, really, REALLY wanted to dig the Quilter, and it IS a nice SS amp, but I think I have crossed a bridge and burned it. Good tube amps, for all of their little idiosyncrasies and irritations, just cannot be beat for tone.

Quilter will be going bye-bye, and a NT15C1G2 will most likely be taking its' place.

Sucks about the Quilter...it was one of the hits of Pragestock...

...so the Classic 30 is off the market then?

That's how I've felt about Quilters since I first heard them. If I wanted that sort of thing I'd look at the Demeter.

Sucks about the Quilter...it was one of the hits of Pragestock...

...so the Classic 30 is off the market then?

I think I may be keeping the C30 and have the NT as the upstairs amp.

Yeah, I know the Quilter was a hit, but I think it was because not too many had seen or heard one until then. Yes, it is loud, but it just doesn't quite have that round, sparkly tone that tubes get ya.

There is something about tube tone, like the little overtones and harmonics that round out the sound, that just can't seem to be replaced by solid-state amps no matter how hard they try. When tube amps work well, they become an integral part of the instrument and respond to your touch.

And those C30's are great sounding little amps. There's a reason there are so many of 'em out there.

I reallly, really, REALLY wanted to dig the Quilter, and it IS a nice SS amp, but I think I have crossed a bridge and burned it. Good tube amps, for all of their little idiosyncrasies and irritations, just cannot be beat for tone.

Yeah, once you cross it, it is hard to go back. I thought the Quilter sounded great for a solid state amp, but it still a solid state amp and like most solid state amps, they just lack something. I think in a band situation, they would do the job. With all the other instruments occupying their space it would work, but I can see why jamming alone at home it just doesn't have that spark.

I totally know the feeling of really trying hard to like an amp. These things happen so we move on to something else.

Back