VHT Super 6 Ultra vs. Marshall SL5

You flip the Quilter already?

I'm voting VHT, although I've never owned both, only played them both in various settings.

1) No, but...

2) I've played the SL5 and thought it was fantastic. Haven't had the opportunity with the Special 6 Ultra.

I ended up getting the VHT. I returned it, though, because I couldn't get the amount of distortion I wanted without cranking it prohibitively loudly, even when it was turned down to the lowest wattage setting.
It sounded really cool, but it was just ungodly loud. After thinking about it some more, I snagged a Fender Super Champ, and I love it!

I have the special 6 and really like it. I don't know what the ultra adds . It has a really good clean sound, but not really any overdrive with single coils. It does really well with pedals.

:grin:

I actually just sold mine to fund something else. I hadn't really been using it much.

I had a VHT Special 6 Ultra combo. I bought it mainly based on rav reviews and because I was looking for a low powered all tube. I sold it because...well, because I'm Woody and that's what I do. One thing about the VHT - when I first played it I thought it was a total dog. BUT, the tones are there - you just have to play with all the controls, including the boost. It is not a metal machine - but had nice tones. Can't speak to the Marshall. (I must have lost a step.)

The SL5 was on my radar for a time but a VHT Ultra deal came my way so I decided to revisit it again after flipping one a couple years ago. I put some EL34 tubes in it and I must say that it is a little beast of an amp for not a lot of $$.

Back