Drummers: Two mics on the kick?

BlackCat

American Greaser
Never seen it before. What's it about?

10731438_848172095239413_735321027_n.jpg

Are we sure that's not just a close mic for imaging purposes?like a super close "room mic"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are we sure that's not just a close mic for imaging purposes?like a super close "room mic"?

Nope. Not sure at all. When I first looked at the pic I thought there were two cutouts on the drum head but I guess that second one is just a patch of some sort.

It almost looks like some kind of an M/S setup. Without the rest of the pic I can't really see if they have overheads or other mics on it.

I have seen mics on both heads of the bass drum - one to pick up the attack of the beater on the batter head, and one to get the tone at the resonant head.

My guess is that in this setup the mic in the port is capturing the beater attack, as well as some of the boominess, while the second mic is picking up tone, and some of the natural room reverb (although that second part would be small).

I often do this. Like Stratguy said, the one inside for the attack of the beater and the one on the outside for the really low end. For some songs that blend works really well.

The upper one could be an omni kit mic. That's a lot closer than they usually are, but from that position, even in cardioid, you're going to get a lot of ride and rack tom, as well as the snare, probably.

I use two, whenever possible. Not in that configuration though. It's usually one inside the kick getting the beater head, and one outside getting the resonant head.

Back