John Mayer bitches about Fender on Twitter....

Yeah, it is usually not a good idea to make vague statements about a company that you have an endorsement deal with. But this is what comes of waiting for the world to change.
Maybe he only gave them half of his heart, and needed someone else to speak for him. I expect the vultures to circle soon.

This is pretty pointless. Why are they not the same?

Did they not increase his royalties enough?

Did the Execs not kiss his ass enough?

or is it something important like the guitars are not being made with the quality he expects.

I doubt it's the last one since he will still be playing them.

Kinda low brow throwing out vague insults on Twitter after accepting who knows how much to endorse for so many years.

But I do wonder what's up, Mark Knopfler quietly ended his Fender deal as well, and what little made it through the rumor mill was he was fed up with the company.

Kinda low brow throwing out vague insults on Twitter after accepting who knows how much to endorse for so many years.

But I do wonder what's up, Mark Knopfler quietly ended his Fender deal as well, and what little made it through the rumor mill was he was fed up with the company.
I get te feeling that there are some changes going on under the hood at FMC that we won't really see the full scope of for a year or two....possibly getting their ducks in order for another IPO attempt?

Everyone's heading to Ernie Ball, they are overstocked on purple ones at the moment so the artists are getting good deals on them :tongue:

j/k :grin:

Heck, I'd love to have an Ernie Ball, if they'd ever make a darned LP-scaled neck :embarrassed:

Everyone's heading to Ernie Ball, they are overstocked on purple ones at the moment so the artists are getting good deals on them :tongue:

j/k :grin:

Heck, I'd love to have an Ernie Ball, if they'd ever make a darned LP-scaled neck :embarrassed:
The two guitarist in the band I saw last night both just signed deals with Ernie Ball, and are dumping their Telecasters. EBMM seems to be getting a lot of stuff out there right now.

Interesting.

I'd be willing to bet this is 50/50. John probably wants something Fender doesn't want to give and Fender doesn't want to do something John wants. Artists can be prima dona's.

But at the same time, big companies can be a PITA. I don't know but assume JM makes money on every JM Sig sold so maybe the terms one side wanted were no longer acceptable. Who knows.

Last edited:
Posting a vague message such as that seems very unprofessional to me. It would have been better had he actually articulated what is causing him to suddenly write that post. Is it quality control? Is it money? Is it an executive who pissed him off?

Well, with only 140 characters and half the brain cells...

Reactions: Tig

I suppose the fact that Knopfler 'quietly' left demonstrates what might be described as a generational difference in approach to these things. Of just individual difference. You decide. I could see it both ways. More "dignified" Knopfler's way I suppose, but maybe Mayer felt that something needed to be said so that the purchasing public knows. But knows what? His statements are quite vague for use in decision making re: purchases.

Three months from now the Guitar Player cover story will be a John Mayer interview. He will reveal that his racist penis was turned off by latino staff at Fender’s Scottsdale HQ.

I also heard anecdotally that a lot of the Jackson custom shop guys (also FMIC employees since they bought Charvel/Jackson) left after decades of employment as well.

even back in the day fender was kind of lame

buck owens and don rich dropped fender because the deal at the time was you get a few guitars to use,
but then you must return them to get new ones and they didnt want to give up their
good teles for CBS ones so they said F-U and left.

even back in the day fender was kind of lame

buck owens and don rich dropped fender because the deal at the time was you get a few guitars to use,
but then you must return them to get new ones and they didnt want to give up their
good teles for CBS ones so they said F-U and left.

Too funny, we did't get enough free shit so fuck you.

Psst........ I positive they could have bought the guitars (at a discount) if they wanted to keep them.

I suppose the fact that Knopfler 'quietly' left demonstrates what might be described as a generational difference in approach to these things. Of just individual difference. You decide. I could see it both ways. More "dignified" Knopfler's way I suppose, but maybe Mayer felt that something needed to be said so that the purchasing public knows. But knows what? His statements are quite vague for use in decision making re: purchases.

I would't put stock in any of this. Did Mark leave or was his model discontinued due to slow sales? Why do we assume that the artist must be doing "x" for wholesome reasons and the company must be fucking said artist over? Maybe they are maybe not we have no idea.

You would be floored if you heard some of the shit some folks expect. It's truly ridiculous.

Back