Funny quote from Tom Petty about the music business.

No, I'm no shitting all over the last three decades of music like you are. What a shame that you're too lazy or close-minded to seek out all the great music that is happening as we speak.
I wasn't "shitting" all over the last three decades, mainly the state of mainstream music today, at least what is being promoted for mass consumption. American Idol is a symptom of the problem. There's good music out there, it just seems fewer and further between then before; or at least a lot harder to find. It just seems the corporate suits are pushing the lip-synched live "performances" and auto-tuned vocals. "Virtual" seems to be the operative word. I keep looking for good present-day rock music, but it's like an archeological expedition locating it. Since you're convinced that I'm full of it, I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Did anyone ever make it big off the old versions of these shows like the Gong Show or others? Seems like these talent shows aren't really a new thing but just repackaged for today's audience.
The Gong Show was not really a "talent show". It was one gigantic goof, and was intended as such.

The guy who arranged that booking may have been from a previous generation...some old fart who didn't know much about Hendrix other than he was "happening" at that moment.

Actually it was Mickey Dolenz' idea, and the truth was guys like Hendrix and the "real" so called rock stars liked The Monkees. They all partied together and Hendrix played on Stills' first solo record. They were kids in their 20's with a lot of power who could not have predicted how that tour was going to turn out. Keep in mind that at the time there was more cross over with package tours unlike today. It was no big deal to see B.B. King or Otis Redding open for Jefferson Airplane for example. Tom Jones use to open for the Stones, and Cat Stevens use to open for Englebert Humperdinck.

And today people freaked out because Kool & The Gang opened for Van Halen.

Actually it was Mickey Dolenz' idea, and the truth was guys like Hendrix and the "real" so called rock stars liked The Monkees. They all partied together and Hendrix played on Stills' first solo record. They were kids in their 20's with a lot of power who could not have predicted how that tour was going to turn out. Keep in mind that at the time there was more cross over with package tours unlike today. It was no big deal to see B.B. King or Otis Redding open for Jefferson Airplane for example. Tom Jones use to open for the Stones, and Cat Stevens use to open for Englebert Humperdinck.

And today people freaked out because Kool & The Gang opened for Van Halen.
I saw B.B. King open for The Marshall Tucker Band...and the crowd dug him, too.

I wasn't "shitting" all over the last three decades, mainly the state of mainstream music today, at least what is being promoted for mass consumption. American Idol is a symptom of the problem. There's good music out there, it just seems fewer and further between then before; or at least a lot harder to find. It just seems the corporate suits are pushing the lip-synched live "performances" and auto-tuned vocals. "Virtual" seems to be the operative word. I keep looking for good present-day rock music, but it's like an archeological expedition locating it. Since you're convinced that I'm full of it, I don't expect you to understand where I'm coming from. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

What do you consider "an archeological expedition" to find good music?

What do you consider "an archeological expedition" to find good music?
I'm assuming changing the radio station off the classic rock one.

Finding good music on the radio is probably harder than an archaeological expedition, unless you have a decent college station as an option.. Radio in most major markets (ie. larger cities) is generic crap owned by Clear Channel and is a big part of the problem, IMO. What will be on the Classic Rock stations in 10-20 years, the 60's-80's stuff, or the 90's-2010's stuff? I have a feeling Black Magic Woman will still be in continuous rotation.

Reactions: Tig
If you want good music in your car, plug in your MP3 player. If you have a smartphone that can give you traffic and weather updates, the radio is the gall bladder of the car. A useless vestige of a less evolved era.

Finding good music on the radio is probably harder than an archaeological expedition, unless you have a decent college station as an option.. Radio in most major markets (ie. larger cities) is generic crap owned by Clear Channel and is a big part of the problem, IMO. What will be on the Classic Rock stations in 10-20 years, the 60's-80's stuff, or the 90's-2010's stuff? I have a feeling Black Magic Woman will still be in continuous rotation.

If I want to find new good music, the last place I'm looking is the radio.

Back