Quick praise for the Roland Cube

Ignored Member

Neutered male
I have a couple of amp sim gadgets I use for direct recording or headphone practice: a SansAmp GT2 and a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman.

They sound good and are very useful in some cases. The SansAmp in particular does a nice job of giving the Godin archtop a really clear and pure tone.

But when I want something that sounds and responds like one of my amps, I put my little Cube Street on "Brit Combo", set the gain a little under the breakup point, and there it is. If I run the headphone jack into the board, I'm ready to record while the kids are sleeping.

I wouldn't mind having a bigger one for a never-fail solid state backup. I just need to find the right deal. But, if I really needed volume, I think this thing would do fine running into a PA.

I fully agree. I have gigged my Boss Microcube in exactly the same way when I sat in with my old band. DI'd into the PA with Brit combo setting on the edge of breakup and some pedals on the floor for dirt, chorus and delay.

I picked up a Micro Cube some years ago and didn't really use it much except when I lived in Mich and we had power failures it could run on AA batteries. Recently after numerous complaints from neighbors, I rediscovered it and have been using it with a set of wireless headphones. Probably the best money I have spent on a amp.

I gave my Micro Cube to my Son in Law some time ago but when I had it I use to use it as a preamp for my old Peavey VT Classic which was a hybrid with a dated SS preamp. It really brought the old Peavey back to life.

Back