Scratch Build: Cedar / Mahogany Acoustic

Telenator

Les Paulverizer
I've been working on this since March. I just don't have that much time to spend working on it, but I finally got it to the point where I fit the bolt-on neck to it and it's starting to look like a guitar.

It's an OM size with the neck joining at the 14th fret.

Top is cedar, (never again)
Sides and neck are mahogany.
It will get a rosewood fingerboard and bridge.

I've been tap testing the guitar as I've been building it and this one is producing some really nice numbers.

Can't wait to play it!

TopandSideslo-res_zps6d89a549.jpg

002MahoganyBracedBack_zpsb120cb7e.jpg

OM1_zps2948c77b.jpg

OM2_zpsa03c7608.jpg

I don't like working with cedar. The soft sections of the grain pop out of the edge with the slightest provocation and make it look a little ragged.

My next one will likely be basswood. I have wanted to try this for a long time. It's deflection strength is nearly identical to spruce, and the tone experiments I've done so far are very encouraging as well.

It's tough to beat spruce. The feeling of playing an acoustic you build yourself is far more satisfying than playing an electric guitar you built. You're thinking of the sound as you shape it and sand it. When it's done and it sounds great, that's pretty amazing.

Thanks guys. I haven't done many of these but enjoy building acoustics when time allows.

B Valley, I know basswood is considered very lowly among builders but, my tests have really surprised several accomplished builders and look very promising. The only real questions remaining is, "what color should I paint it?" LOL

bsman, anything is possible when you take it one bit at a time.

Couple new photos.

Here's the fingerboard I just sanded and slotted for a 25 1/2" scale.
OM3RosewoodFingerboard_zps788c77a1.jpg

And this is the graph from my tapping tests on the body.

The body fundamental frequency is at 215.5 which isn't bad but could stand to be a bit lower. What is pretty exciting though, is the even slope of amplitude through the frequencies. This is shaping up to be a well balanced guitar.

OM4TapFrequencies-Body_zps259848a8.jpg

Thanks!
As I'm learning the finer points of acoustic guitar building, I'm told that getting the fundamental frequency of the top down to 200 hz or so, is a very good place to be. I'm hoping to massage it down closer to that number as I go. Such a cool world of details I was completely unaware of until recently. Keeps me off the streets! LOL

As this project progresses, I too am getting a little anxious. Sure wish I had more days in the week to work on it.

Not much work going on here. New girlfriend has been taking up some of my precious building time!

I did manage however to to sand a 12" - 16" radius into the fingerboard.

Back