Requesting headphone advice

Ignored Member

Neutered male
First, let me show you what I want to avoid:

photo (59).JPG

Notice the vinyl on the headband has almost completely flaked off. There also used to be vinyl on the earcups and it flaked off even worse.

This is a pair of Audio Technicas I bought on sale at GC several years ago. Before them, I had a very nice pair of Sonys that did the exact same thing.

I don't know if this is normal or just a byproduct of my perspiration. If it's normal to buy a new set of headphones every other year, so be it. I tend to think a decent pair should last 20 years but maybe I'm wrong.

Any suggestions for a brand that doesn't do this and is good for recording? I would like them to be accurate and fairly EQ-neutral. "Beats" are completely out of the question -- both for their overpricedness and their excessive bass emphasis.

I've had my Beyer Dynamic 880s for two years, and they are still perfect.

that's happened to every pair of studio headphones i've owned. On the next one, as soon as it starts flaking, I'm just gonna rip the rest of it off.

that's happened to every pair of studio headphones i've owned. On the next one, as soon as it starts flaking, I'm just gonna rip the rest of it off.
The Beyer's don't have vinyl on the ear pads...

No vinyl, no flakey flakey

The Beyer's don't have vinyl on the ear pads...

No vinyl, no flakey flakey

The Sonys I had were stolen in college. I have a pair of JVCs it happened to and they're still going strong, though I gave them to my wife. The Audio Technicas I have now will likely flake too. But As long as the actual headphone works, that's all I care about.

I have a pair of KRKs that instead of one solid band, has a couple of smaller padded regions. I've been using it for a couple of years now and sweat a lot in the studio, especially if I'm in one of my makeshift booths. It came with a little microfiber cloth and some silica gel in the bag and I've wiped them down after use and they're still kicking!

My Steinhauser's did that as well. But other than getting black shit on my ears they still work fine. They do bug me as they tend to catch on the strap when I have the headphones on with the connection behind my head so it stays out of the way of the guitar. Feels like someone is pulling my chain :P. I need to get a pair that connects just on one side but it's not a huge priority

If the vinyl was thick enough to not wear off it would feel like naugahyde.

The ear pads and headbands on some Sennheiser models can be replaced. The pads are model specific and they seem to use a generic headband. A pair of HD 280s is only $100 and both pads can be replaced.

I just replaced the muffs on my Sony's. Cheap fix, and easy. You should be able to do the same with most manufacturer's cans. But +1 on the Beyers not having this problem...

Back