MIM Fender vs. CV Squier, an anecdotal comparison/discussion

This (considering MIM vs. CV) was coming up in one of the Gibson threads and thought I would do a comparison of my own for what it is worth.

The contenda's: On the left, 2011 Squier CVC tele, modded by me. On the right, 2006 MIM Anniversary Standard Strat, stock other than the tort guard.

u6upaha2.jpg

MIM, check out the satin neck. This is my first electric and first true love in the guitar world. And the satin neck, and the way the neck was built and finished is one of the main reasons. In fact, when I bought it, I could not tell a big difference between it and the American models. Though I was a beginner so maybe I missed something. But not in feel and finish, and the sound was just as good too.
my9a2upa.jpg

ja8eqejy.jpg

CVC neck. Some discussion in the threads on the glossy finish. Not an issue on the fretboard of this one. This neck is very close to my MIM. If I am being really picky, the fret ends were finished just a bit better on the MIM, and the edge of the fretboard feels more nicely rolled. You can run your finger up and down the edge and it feels buttery. The CV has just the barest hint of fret ends. Not sharp mind you, but not quite as buttery. Nothing for me to worry about and I play this guitar all the time. If it bothered me I could fix it up quick, but I have never bothered.
e9uhadeg.jpg

You can see the gloss they use here.
atyze9uq.jpg

The backs. Very definitely, the CVC is glossier. In truth, I prefer the look of the satin, but it does not really affect me to have the gloss. Again, if it bothered me, I could fix it up easily. But again I have not bothered.
pu9yva6e.jpg

I like the skunk stripe.
7e4uzesa.jpg

Glossy, plain, but plays just fine.
quhu3are.jpg

As far as neck size, they are almost the same. The MIM is a modern C with a 9.5 radius, and it is the neck I am most used to and have judged all other electric necks against. The CVC is very similar in shape in the rear. Nearly identical and not different enough to say there is a true difference. The fretboard radius is identical.

The body finish is maybe just a bit nicer on the MIM. The paint is just finished a bit more smoothly than the clear on the CVC. Not that I spend a bunch of time looking for paint faults.

I changed out the pickups in the CVC, as I found the bridge pickup too shrill, and the neck pickup sounded an awful lot like the neck pickup in my strat, which sound I already had covered. The BG P90 and rock wound tele bridge have transformed the guitar. (along with the vastly improved 4 way electrical harness. Works way more smoothly, and adds that excellent 4th position). I love it for rock sounds, and enjoy some clean-ish tele sounds too. Because I love the pickups and sounds so much, I have played this guitar a ton over the last year or so. The strat even got a little lonely for a while (though it is fully back in the mix. I do enjoy it quite a bit). I think that perhaps the CV pine caster with the A3 magnets might have been more to my liking as far as stock pickups, rather than the A5 magnets in this CVC. but I really liked the idea a an alder body and liked the rosewood fret board and double bound body of the CVC. So, if you like the sounds of a CV tele, and you found one that plays well, I am not sure why you would spend more for a MIM.

That said, the MIM is just a tad more refined in finish, both body and neck, and the stock electronics seemed better to me. As did the pickups. I have no real reason to change anything on this guitar other than cosmetics.

So that is my take on things, with pics. Discuss away regarding what you have found about comparing these instruments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
Nice review SVL. I do think that the Squire line has upped their game quite a bit, and their upper end really does give the MIM Standard a run for it's money.

So I own a CV Tele... I have played many MIM strats and teles. It feels strange to say this but I am leaning towards the CV's. They just seem to be more playable and generally better put together pieces.

Now I feel dirty...

Classic_Vibe_tele_01.jpg

While I think the quality is there, I tend to avoid most current Squiers due to their narrow, skinny necks :(. The Tele Special (with the JM pickup in the neck) is an exception, and I've read that the new '72 Tele Thinline with the Fender WRH pickups has a substantial neck.

I would say that if I were in the tele market today, I would also be looking for mid 00's MIMs being sold used, to see what was available as against what I would spend on a new CV. I think those that have said in these lines, it takes playing some and finding the one you like have it correct.

I'm liking that Squier wit the upgrades a lot.
It turned out very nicely for me. I may go ahead and scuff up the back of the neck for a smoother, faster feel, and really smooth out the edges on the fretboard so that they are butter just like my MIM, just because one day. I like it well enough with the upgraded pickups and electronics that it is worth a little extra effort in that way as well.

While I think the quality is there, I tend to avoid most current Squiers due to their narrow, skinny necks :(. The Tele Special (with the JM pickup in the neck) is an exception, and I've read that the new '72 Tele Thinline with the Fender WRH pickups has a substantial neck.

The neck on my CV is very similar to the neck on my MIM in terms of size and shape, FWIIW. But I fully think in both lines that the best thing to do is go try before you buy.

I have a CV 50's Strat and more recently, the CV 50's Tele. I replaced the Strat's cheap trem block with a brass one and replaced the pick guard, but the pickups are actually really good. I replaced the pick guard on the Tele and will likely replace the pickups since there are so many nice ones available. After trying a few thick Tele necks, I realized I couldn't fret barre chords on them.

For a while I wanted to replace the Strat with something better, because, well, it would be better! The problem is, I like what I have and can't justify the expenditure. I played several before settling on it since it sounded and felt so much better than the other CV's.

@Tig, I also played a few before picking the one I have. I think the differences were mostly set up, and how banged up one had gotten on the wall at GC. But still, there were definite differences.

The MIM Anniversary model was stellar in every way, and was a private sale from someone that had ordered one, then decided after having it a few months that he really wanted a Les Paul to do swamp rock with. But the regular MIMs also seemed to vary some. The Anniversary model seemed to be finished one step above the regular MIMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
Back