Anyone here ever had Ethiopian cuisine?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I'm going to a concert in Royal Oak, MI thursday, and I noticed on google maps that there's an Ethiopian cuisine restaurant right across the highway in Ferndale, MI.

http://www.bluenilemi.com

The restaurant has excellent reviews, so I'm thinking of stopping there to eat prior to the concert.

Is it like Indian? Shawarma? Moroccan? Something else?

Ny6I9vJ.gif

I don't like it. It's all a bunch of piles of vegetarian mush, which you scoop into your face using a yeasty-smelling bread that's vaguely the consistency of human skin.

Not for a while, but there's a place up by Columbia University that's really good. And yes, I made all the jokes at the time, but they're just not funny anymore.

Ethiopian has been a favorite of my family for 20 years now. Don't listen to micwalt -- unless you really enjoy bland, white-bread food. The bread he talks about (injera) is a wholegrain flatbread made of a grain called teff and has a wonderfully sour flavor. It's almost like a sourdough pancake. GET the vegetarian combination (usually includes several kinds of lentil stews, potato/carrot/onion dish, collard greens and a small salad) but also get some meat dishes. If you like lamb, I would recommend yebeg alitcha -- if beef is more your preference, zil-zil tibs (get them cooked crispy). If you have a taste for rather hot and spicy, try doro wot (chicken cooked in a chili sauce, usually served with a hardboiled egg and home-made cottage cheese) As micwalt mentioned -- the food is served family-style, usually on a large-round platter lined with injera. You are provided small, rolled portions of injera that you tear small pieces from, using it to scoop up the dishes from the plate.

We've introduced literally dozens of folks to this cuisine, and with the exception of a very few hopelessly banal folks, they've enjoyed it immensely!

btw -- Ethiopian women are some of the most beautiful women in the world!

Doro Wot is fantastic, and very spicy...so tread lightly if you don''t tolerate spicy well. They generally have sampler plates ( which have, ironically, a ton of food) and are a great way to get into the cuisine.

Been a while, but there's a good place here in town that I used to love. Too spicy for Wife, so we never go.

Hey, hey... I'm not a picky, bland food eater by any means. I enjoy lots of different cuisines. Ethiopian just didn't do it for me at all.

We've got an Ethiopian place near us that's pretty good. I really dig the sourdough bread pancake thing. It's the size of a large pizza, and they bring out the dishes ladled on top of it. It's not all great, but when it's good, it's really good.

Bah, they don't open for dinner until 5:embarrassed:0, and the doors for the concert open at 6:embarrassed:0 I believe.

I think they are open for lunch though, I may have to leave for the Detroit area early if I can, and eat lunch instead.

edit: they have a restaurant in Ann Arbor that is open for lunch until 3:embarrassed:0. Ann Arbor is only a little over an hour's drive for me, so if I leave sometime between noon and 1:embarrassed:0 I should be golden for getting some Ethiopian lunch :embarrassed:

Ethiopian is great stuff. It’s kind of in-between Moroccan and Indian. Cooked longer than Moroccan, spiced more heavily than Moroccan, but the the overcooked and over spiced of Indian. Make sure to drink the honey wine.

btw -- Ethiopian women are some of the most beautiful women in the world!

I concur. I used to work overnights doing clerical work at a trucking company and we had three Ethiopian ladies who worked with us. Two were drop dead gorgeous and the third (an older lady) was still attractive.

I heard of the restaurant in Royal Oak, and I plan on making a trip of it some time. Ethiopian coffee is one of my favorites. Light roast, citrusy notes with a real nice bite to it. A new coffee shop in the neighborhood does it right.

Back