Do you own the best guitar you have ever played? if so, post a pic and say why...

58-1375380430-8ec2f7f56e67f1a25799caa1377d82c2.jpg

I gave up tying to find a better acoustic in 1996, everything else just sounded and/or felt wrong. I'm sure there's something better out there, but I never touched it.

In the late-90s, I attended a small workshop by Tony Rice for teen guitarists, and the subject of "gear vs tone is in the fingers" came up. Tony passed around his guitar, which was Clarence White's famous one. Everyone agreed that it had some serious magic to it, but everyone sounded pretty much the same as on the guitars they brought in.

Great guitars can be a lot more fun to play, and they can inspire you... But, beyond that, that's about it. If you're good enough to get the most out of it, you'll get a louder, fuller, richer, more dynamic, and better-rounded version of yourself.

That's for guitars. Totally different story for concert grand pianos.

In the late-90s, I attended a small workshop by Tony Rice for teen guitarists, and the subject of "gear vs tone is in the fingers" came up. Tony passed around his guitar, which was Clarence White's famous one. Everyone agreed that it had some serious magic to it, but everyone sounded pretty much the same as on the guitars they brought in.

Great guitars can be a lot more fun to play, and they can inspire you... But, beyond that, that's about it. If you're good enough to get the most out of it, you'll get a louder, fuller, richer, more dynamic, and better-rounded version of yourself.

That's for guitars. Totally different story for concert grand pianos.

Everyone I've ever talked to about Dave Rawling's Epiphone is that there's absolutely nothing special about it until he plays it. Off the top of my head I don't remember ever seeing him play another guitar, even though I'm sure he has more of them somewhere. For him it's the best guitar ever, but for most of us it would probably be an old crappy Epiphone that's beat to hell.

A lot of peeps hate how this one looks but it really does play well. I have others I think have better mojo, but this one will play about anything well......... With the right operator that is lol.

image.jpg

Cant say Ive ever owned the best. I've played some awesome old Martins, Santa Cruz, Bougoius, Collins. My 85' D28 is good and as good or better than a lot of em but not the best by a long shot.

Electric guitars, meh whatevers. Wires and a slab o wood. I got some decent ones, played some really nice ones that cost a ton of money and some cheap ones that were great too. Mine work for me but I ain't necc gonna say any one of em is the best ever.

I'm not sure what "best" really means. To me it means "best for my needs" and I'd have to say yes:

389-1408376889-34f73ec652ee6ca6c75a069281b0e157.jpg

I'm sure if I played a million instruments I'd find one that might be better in some regards but in this case I asked for something pretty specific and got something that exceeded my expectations.
Mark let me pick on it, and it was a really really nice geetar. I'm still thinking about it today. It was that nice.

Well, I've owned enough now to say that I have probably found "the best" for me.

2012 Fender Deluxe Player's Strat - I love the 12" radius on this guitar. I can't tell you exactly why it feels so good to me, but it just did right from the first time I played it. It also has a push button that adds the bridge pickup to the 3, 4, & 5 positions on the selector switch, so it has a great versatility of sound. I also bought the amp that I played it through for the first time. I can honestly say that I have never heard a more perfect tone. I chose to play it because I had never heard the Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups that were on this Strat. So they would be the third thing that I love about this Strat.

IMGP9608_zpsa7abceca.jpg

The other "best" for me is the Takamine Glenn Frey Signature acoustic-electric that I picked up this year. It is all solid wood - Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. It is amazingly resonant, has excellent projection, the neck feels good in my hand and has a satin finish on the back, and it a has perfect tonal balance. I tried out several Taylors and another Takamine before I play this one. I had no intention of buying that day. I was only exploring. As soon as I heard this guitar, I knew it would be my best acoustic. It was only later that I found out that Glenn Frey personally signed each and every label inside the guitar.

IMGP9589_zpsdff71bd5.jpg

I will never own the best guitar I have ever played as it was $40,000 TEN years ago.
D'Aquisto Excel. lower left. I played everyone of these. It was ...amazing.
guitar6_500x475.jpg

it's a tough question because i go through phases only to come full-circle again. i reckon i've owned somewhere around 250 guitars (not all at once - damn!) in my time as a guitarist. i think that's a lot. thinking back on all the guitars i've moved on, i don't have any regrets. the closest i come to "missing" a guitar is probably that Rory Gallagher signature strat i owned for a while. that was a damn-fine guitar.

but, yes. i think i own the best guitars i've ever played. at the top of the heap is probably my Tyler Studio Elite HD. i swear it makes me play better than i can otherwise play on just about any other instrument.

w03TylerBurningWater-019.jpg

but the truth is; i look at the guitars i have lying around and i feel like pinching myself because i can't believe i've had the good fortune to assume stewardship of so many killer instruments. it's so cool. i don't take it for granted. it could all be gone tomorrow. so i'm really, really thankful.

i look at the guitars i have lying around and i feel like pinching myself because i can't believe i've had the good fortune to assume stewardship of so many killer instruments. it's so cool. i don't take it for granted. it could all be gone tomorrow. so i'm really, really thankful.

Well said, and I totally agree with it. Just to have a single killer guitar would make us fortunate indeed.

for me the best guitar i ever played would be one that I sounded best on, with my amp/rig and settings.
and since I usually dont sound that great on other peoples guitars/amps id have to choose one of my own.
So, this unassuming Broadcaster replica I made is it. I get tones out of this tele that would make eric johnson shit his pants.
mainly because of the pickups. There is something about early Broadcasters that really tickle my love bone.
I have in my 52RI Fred Stuart Blackguard pickups which are really nice, and cost an arm and a leg ($279)
but I get better sounds out of this Broadcaster with $124 Rumpelstiltskin pickups, a Rat and my Twin Reverb.

the best guitar I ever heard someone else play was my good friends late 1990s Strat Plus. I dont even like strats but he made that thing scream.
he was such an amazing guitarist though and could probably make even a PRS sound good.
The funny thing is he hated that Strat. He carved 'Linda' into the body that looked like a 3rd grader did it.
When asked he would tell people 'Linda' was his ex-girlfriend but the real story was he carved it after seeing Terminator 2
starring Linda Hamilton rotflmao
One day I went over his house and his Strat wasnt there (he was always playing his guitar)
He said the night before he got mad at it and threw it out the window and left it there, in the rain all night.
So we went outside and there it was in the bushes all wet.
lol, dude was a nut.

another friend of mine, who was equally as good as him had a really killer MIJ Yngwie Strat
that sounded amazing too.

thats pretty cool. I really want to get a Reverend, but probably of the Tele varietal.
Reverend walk that fine line between different looking enough to be unique yet trad looking enough
not to piss off neo-luddism aesthetics.

Yep. This is the one I was going to post. I need to break it out again one of these days. It's been aging in the case for a while now.

Dat face
IMG_1104_1s.jpg

Dat ass
IMG_1121_1s.jpg

thats pretty cool. I really want to get a Reverend, but probably of the Tele varietal.
Reverend walk that fine line between different looking enough to be unique yet trad looking enough
not to piss off neo-luddism aesthetics.
Actually that's a Soloway.

Back